We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gifts for children

runcorn
5 posts
Save Topic
gifts for children

My friend and i are going on the ms semiramis in May for my 50th birthday,we were wondering what we could put in little bags for the children thast come to the boats, any suggestions?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gifts for children

Hi there

They like to get pens, pencils, crayons, sweets (sweets should be halal). You could take the pens etc. over with you but, to save weight, just take the bags with you and buy the sweets when you get there.

Apart from buying pens to take over, I also save up all the freebie ones that arrive in the post and take them with me too.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gifts for children

We took gifts for the extended family known to us and once gave a bagful of goodies (such as those suggested by Marlscat) to the charming schoolteacher who produced the key and showed us around a small, off-the beaten-track temple.

However.......

I never give to unknown children encountered in Egypt (or elsewhere) because I feel that it raises their expectations and encourages them to pester tourists for handouts. And an excess of sweets is bad for their teeth.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gifts for children

Pausilypon - agree with last paragraph. Very valid.

I also get very frustrated, as do some of my Egyptian friends, when I hear tourists complaining about the hassle/begging from children and yet the tourist has brought it upon themselves by 'generously' handing out 'gifts' right, left and centre - often against the advice of their tour guide. This is not just an Egypt problem though as I've witnessed the same in India, Tunisia, Turkey and other places too.

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gifts for children

We take pens from the pound shop lol and a few books and buy sweets there and give to a village we always visit a family there the children love it but dont give openly in street as like boingfs said that causes hassle like most countrys

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gifts for children

"Pausilypon - agree with last paragraph. Very valid."

I agree totally with the above comment. Handing out gifts to children who are begging only perpetuates the harassment problem and their parents are usually behind their begging. My advice is to consider only giving the gifts to children who do not beg and harass the tourists.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gifts for children

When I asked a few of the tomb/temples guardians that I had got to know, during the hour or so that I was spending with them this past week, what they needed most the reply was for pens for their children and grandchildren now that the revolution had happened which, had I thought and brought some over, I would have handed over as a form of baksheesh. One asked for aspirin* and, as the partner of a Doctor, this is something that I would never hand out unless it was to a family/face that I knew very well indeed...

Like the others above have stated I too would not respond to direct begging but look around for those quieter souls who are lower down in the pecking order and are not begging but could certainly do with some support. At the airport, for example, I notice that a lot of people hand over their final change to the toilet attendant (obviously not a beggar but still a role that requires/expects baksheesh) whereas the 'on the go' cleaners and glass collectors in the cafe often get overlooked - my tip is to give the toilet attendant the standard LE1 and give the rest to someone else ;-)

* my travel companion joked that he had asked for this after all the questions that I had asked of him!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gifts for children

I agree with you ragoora - I think we also tend to forget that adults also like to be given pens - I always keep a reserve for the waiters/security guards etc. and I've also sometimes handed pens over to airport staff!!

However, way back in the early days of my travels to Luxor I have handed over pens to what I thought was a lonely little soul - NOT the case, all the rest had been hiding and swarmed around us likes bees to a honeypot, so I avoid doing that nowadays!!

8. Re: gifts for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Luxor