We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

WARNING for those flying on or around the 29th April to or from Egypt.

I believe Egypt was due to change it's clocks to Daylight Saving Time on the night of Thursday 29th April. This appears not to be happening now (recent news).

www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=53

If you are due to fly on or around/after the 29th April - return flights especially - it will probabably be a good idea to confirm with your airline what the return check-in and flight time is.

I know that EasyJet sent an email in February to those who had booked previously and there was an hours change there which seemed to be allowing for the DST. I'm now wondering if it will change again!

If you contact your airline, do it by email, not phone, so that you get a written confirmation that you can print off and have with you in the event of any query at check in. (I did the Egypt route once on clock change day and it was chaos trying to get a sensible answer from ground crew in UK - one Customer Service Advisor superviser assured me that they changed the clocks on different days in Egypt ie Cairo Time/Upper Egypt Time. Even the flight crew gave out the wrong times! No surprises there then!)

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

'I believe Egypt was due to change it's clocks to Daylight Saving Time on the night of *Thursday 29th April*. '

Oops error - it should have read ' *Thursday 28th April*'

Academic I know if it's not actually happening!

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

I have read elsewhere that daylight saving in Egypt will be cancelled. Sounds eminently sensible to me, I wish the UK would follow suit...

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/407168

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

Its a pain when it happens here and doesn't seem to actually benefit many people

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

LOL@ alistair1967

That's what I was saying. :-0

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

Cancel wintertime I say.

Newcastle
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

Apparently last year the clocks changed 4 times, as they went forward in April, back at the beginning of Ramadan, forward at the end of Ramadan and then back again at the end of September ! Crazy !

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

Is that why my Egypt Air flight on June 8 from Cairo to Athens has been changed from departure of 11:30 am to 10:30 am? I just got an e-mail but no reason for the change. Just curious I guess!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

chris45ny, yes, I think the 'no DST' just confirmed will be the reason.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

My EasyJet departure time (in late July) has just been changed, so thanks for the advanced notice.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egypt - NO Daylight Saving Time in 2011

I think Easyjet have been very busy today.

I emailed them last night and got a reply earliar today showing that my return flight from Luxor would be leaving at the last revised time if 18-25. This evening I have had an emil from them stating that my return flight will depart at 15-25 pm, but no advice on the check in times (yes, I know I can work it out for myself but sadly others may not be so sure).

I think that there will be some people turning up at Luxor too late for check in for a few days after 29th - espeically folks that don't read TA and other forums!

Get answers to your questions about Luxor