We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to trim my itinerary?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
846 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to trim my itinerary?

blooming scrapping of dst means return flight from luxor back to sharm will depart 1925 (we arrive 0805)

now these are "platinum" tickets so allegedly we will have priority boarding. if possible i will try to do online check-in the day before.

My itinerary:

WB: collosi, VoK, Hatsheput temple

EB: luxor and Karnak temples.

still doable?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

Yes, it is do-able. But don't get diverted into alabaster/papyrus/perfume/souvenir shops and I would not be inclined to linger over lunch, either.........LOL!

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

The day trippers that come from the Red Sea Resorts of Hurghada, Makadi Bay etc seem to manage all that in a slightly shorter space of time than you have.

Like Pausilypon has suggested don't divert to any alabaster/papyrus etc shops as they can eat up 45 mins to an hour of your day.

An idea would be to get a lunch box from your hotel and eat lunch on the go.

Edited: 26 April 2011, 15:54
england
Level Contributor
846 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

thanks both. nope this is a privately arranged trip so will be my family only with driver. no detours will be entertained!

we will be leaving our hotel in sharm around 6am i think to make the 7.15 flight so lunch from hotel might not be feasible but will look into it when we get there.

in that regard the cairo trip this coming sunday will be worse as the outbound flight is now 6.15!

england
Level Contributor
846 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

are there any fast food joints in luxor? (thinking about running lunch or lunch in taxi!) where are they near relative to itinerary places?

BTW are you allowed to eat/drink ("picnic") on the grounds of the temples?

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

Maybe not so bad the Cairo flight is at 6.15am - Cairo is a busy busy city and the traffic is MANIC at times - the longer you have there the better.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your day trips to Luxor and Cairo.

Suzie :-)

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

fast food............

There is a McDonalds behind Luxor Temple.

And a KFC / Pizza hut in the Little Britain area of town.

See Following maps:-

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/centralluxor.htm

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/southluxor.htm

Your driver should also be able to show you where a good Falafel / Koshari stand is where lunch will set you back around 25 pence per person - I've eaten from several and had no ill effects and it's a LOT LOT tastier than anything McDonalds, KFC or Pizza Hut will throw at you and all very filling too. The sugarcane juice is also very refreshing and will give you a bit of a boost.

There is a cafe in the Valley of the Kings selling crisps, chocolate bars, juice, water etc but very expensive!

Yes, it's also fine to sit and have a snack in the shade of a quiet spot in one of the temples.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

I'd second Suzies suggestion of getting your driver/guide to stop off and buy you some sandwiches at one of the local shops/stalls. He can also arrange to stock you up on bottled water - all you'd need then is just suffient for the flight. You could also pack yourselves a tuck bag of nibbles that you can leave in the car and help yourself to between visits.

Enjoy your visit.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

a PM to Edward at tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/ourluxorflat might get you the location of, I think there are 2, supermarkets that are fixed price, if you don't want to haggle, but you will not have a lot of time to wander around.

Suggest asking your driver to find a cool spot on the way.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

I'm not sure but I think eLaReF may be referring to Arkwright's and Omar's supermarkets. Funny because I nearly suggested you maybe go to Arkwrights that sells, according to reports I've read, very good sandwiches/lunchbags.

You can see the shops and their locations here:

luxortraveltips.com/eating/foodshopping.htm

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/southluxor.htm

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need to trim my itinerary?

I'd be inclined to pack a picnic bag in Sharm - 'dry' long-life nibbles like nuts and fruit etc - and arrange for your driver to have some bottled water in the van ready for you, he shouldn't charge too much over the odds for you. Of the places you intend to visit I have eaten such foods in the VOK (sitting under one of the quieter shaded seating areas) and Karnak although I have never seen anyone with a full picnic spread laid out so can't say if it is 'allowed' or not!

There is a mid-price cafe at Carter's House between VOK and Hatshepsut if you want a proper meal - I posted the menu with prices a few pages back if you do a search. I would say, with planning, you should be able to get everything done on your list and I would be inclined to leave Luxor Temple to the last as it has a later closing time - have a great trip :-)