We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help urgent

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
560 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
please help urgent

I am going to sharm in 2 weeks time,but was quite looking forward in doing a trip to luxor,i have just found out that you cannot take any photos at the site.my trip included valley of the kings and queens,hatisok,karnak temples and memmon.now im thinking is it worth doing the trip.i would like to know does that mean i cant take any photos at all.please help.sorry for the spelling.lynne

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help urgent

There is a ban in the VoK that is correct - you are advised to leave cameras in the bus, or there is a system at the gate to hold your camera, if you want to trust it.

As for any form of general ban - it is maybe best described as - if you are underground NO PIX

If you are on the surface or in a temple, Pix are OK

The various Tombs in VoK/VoQ etc and the Luxor Museum are the exceptions to this that come to mind.

Have a look at the photos I have taken over the last 5 yrs or so at http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref to see what can be taken

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: please help urgent

And just to 'hammer' the point home a little more (so there is no misunderstanding) visitors to Valley of the Kings who are found to be in possession of a camera (of any sort) whether below or above ground, risks a fine of up to 2000LE and/or confiscation of the camera and deletion of ALL data on the cameras media card.

There is no problem with still or video photography at Luxor, Karnak or Hatshepsuts temples or at the Collosi of Memnon.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: please help urgent

hi , the system here in egypt you can't take photo inside the tombs like tombs in valley of the kings or queens also tombs in nobles area ,in luxor , the same system in cairo and aswan , also inside the museums , but outside no problem you can get many photo

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
999 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help urgent

we just got back 2 weeks ago, and at VoK we got a pack of photos (not postcards) with some inside pics of tombs, and Carter cleaning Tutenkhamen's mask, for about 30e pounds, and they made up for no photos. Personally, while no photography is disappointing, viewing it is absolutely worthwhile. There are still plenty of good photos oppourtunities, and missing out coz of no photos would be a disaster!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help urgent

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this but in the postcards, as Centralvic rightly states, there are pictures of Carter cleaning the mask...but they look (to my eyes) suspiciously like stills from a television programme "Egypt" that was on the BBC a couple of years ago...does anyone know if thats the case or not ?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
694 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help urgent

So you would miss some of the most beautiful sights in Egypt because you can't take photos in the VOK or in the tombs? In my opinion, that would be a great mistake. The tombs in the VOK and VOQ were amazing and no, you can't take pictures. But you can take pictures at Hatshepsut, Karnak and the Colossi. Don't miss out just because you can't take pictures in the tombs!

Clevedon, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help urgent

I know its not quite as personal ,but so many postcards are much better than own photo,s......but i,m rubbish at photography anyway,so hav,nt taken my camera abroad for years.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help urgent

You might surprise yourself Chami!. I just have a digital point and click idiots only use camera and even I can produce some decent stuff...and i don't even cut peoples heads off...lol

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: please help urgent

The photos that they are selling in VOK now are really good quality and worth the price. I used a guide a few weeks ago and he used a full set of them as part of his guiding talk. For the right price they are good value.

Oh and the latest in Karnak Temple is the man taking photos of people near to the scarab. Good price for a set of photos. We used him for our group photo and he delivered to us at VOK the following morning!

Skane County, Sweden
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help urgent

Yes you can take photo, not inside tombs and for some reason not even outside the valley of the kings lol. But temples and so are fine!