We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa's

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Visa's

Hello all,

It has been mentioned before about what and how to pay for your visa when you arrive in Luxor but I would like to pass on to anyone who is new to this forum that you should get your visa from the airport and not your rep.

I received my tickets on monday and on the front inside cover it said;

(in bold) Important arrival and departure information

"you will be met our agent ****** to assist you through immigration and customs. Please note the cost of a visa stamp upon arrival is approximately £13 sterling pounds,"

My understanding is that a visa costs $15 American.

Even with a weak pound £10 English should cover the cost.

£3 may not sound a lot to each person but when you think that it might be a plane load of people, well it is.......just be aware please.

I would rather give those few extra £'s to a local taxi driver etc. than to some fat cat 'agent'.

I hope that I have not ranted on too much about this but If I had not read about it on this forum then I would not have known about this 'scam'.

I just wanted any newbies to know.........I could not believe it when I saw it in black and white!

Thanxs to all with the advice you give, most helpful,

Take care, (29 sleeps to go-soz-had to do it!)

Linda. x

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa's

Good advice Linda, and a topic common enough to be stickied at the top of the board methinks.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa's

Some holiday brochure actually print £13 as the visa cost - sewing the seed for a good harvest.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa's

Just for info - there's also already advice on visas under the Top Questions written in blue down the right hand side of the forum page - just click on 'Visas' near the bottom of the alphabetical list.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa's

And just to add for those who don't bother to press buttons or links....

The OFFICIAL price IS $15 - there is NO OTHER!!!

You pay in non-local currency at whatever that days exchange rate is for the one you are paying in (Unless you, of course, are actually paying in USD)

So for Sterling you 'At the Moment' should be paying just under £10 (£9.21 today)

Your change will, however, assuming they give you any at first, be in LE - check it is correct.

It won't be - Take that as your official welcome to Egyptian currency transactions!

5. Re: Visa's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 16:05
Kingswood, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa's

Really stupid question if you'll forgive me.

Read all about getting Visa's at the airport which for various reasons will be the option I will be using, but 2 questions - are the 'official booths' open late in the evening and do you need to take photographs (note that applying at the Embassy in London you need two passport photos)

Edited: 23 July 2011, 05:44
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa's

Hi - dont worry i asked the same question a couple of months ago about visas late at night . no worries - the visa booths are open whenever a plane comes in - mine landed at 02h00. with a british passport, no need for photos. have a good trip

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa's

If you click on 'Visas' in the Top Questions at the right and then choose the fourth link 'Traveller Checklist and Visa Information' in the window that pops out, you can see a picture of an actual visa stuck in my own passport

9. Re: Visa's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 02:16