We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Disabled

My husband has walking difficulties, is the cruise and this ship suitable. He can walk but very slow. Can any one give me some advice?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled

Hi there

While you're waiting on some other answers coming in, please have a look at the top questions about Luxor which you'll find written in blue down the right hand side of this forum page. If you scroll down the alphabetical list till you come to the Mobility topic and click on that, you'll find some helpful advice under that section.

Just to get you started, under that heading, you'll find this previous forum thread which was about travelling on a Nile cruise with disabilities

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k3…

Hope that helps for now.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled

Thanks

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled

My wife has walking difficulties, we went to all the sites when she was more mobile but now I take a wheelchair on holiday with us to Luxor. My advice would be to go, You will be allocated a guide, ask him/her which sites would be suitable. Or maybe if he/she thinks you can't keep up, you don't have to stay with the group as long as you are ready to leave at the end you will be ok.

Make sure you book assistance at the airport. If you book that you will also get assistance at Luxor, getting off the plane with the ambulift, a vehicle that drives up to the front aircraft door and then takes you very close to the entrance to the airport.

Some boats do not have lifts between floors, so check on that if you need it.

If it does not have lifts tell the company you want a room that is high as possible. But still there are bound to be steps to and from the boat and possibly to the top deck.

Phil

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled

Have u done the cruise with your wife not being so mobile recently. If so, how did u find it. Thanks for advice so far.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled

Unfortunatly no, my wife now just rests by the pool, we stay in Luxor and sometimes go down by car to Aswan for a couple of days. I usually make a point of visiting an area or site I haven't seen before. I find a wheelchair invaluble. But you do have to know which hotel to stay in as some are impossible or difficult with a chair. It also can be difficult at the airport with two cases and pushing the chair, I now have one that turns into a rucksack and I balance the other on the back of the chair. But that usually is only for a very short distance.

Phil

England
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled

I recently took my Nan for a week on the Nile then a week in Luxor, she has walking difficulties (amongst other things) and we managed. The Egyptians may lack disabled facilities but they make up for this with their willingness to help, although she never went to the sites (she has been quite a few times before) when I took her out the boat manager insisted I took one of the sailors to push the wheelchair. the first time I sent him back to the boat as I could manage but he was promptly dispatched again. At the airport it is a breeze because of all the assistance and wherever you go there are always willing hands to help lift the wheelchair up/ down etc and not one asked for backshesh. BTW I havent been on any boat so far which has had a lift but I would take Nan down a few minutes earlier at meal times to avoid her getting trampled on in the rush.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled

I also hbve walking difficulties due to arthritis and have visited Luxor twice. I considered a Nile cruise, but eventually decided against it as often the boats are moored 4/5 abreast and you have to walk across them to get to shore. I was also concerned about visiting the sites and being able to keep up with the group.

I am glad we didn't do the cruise. On both visits we booked all our trips privately with a local agent. He had a wheelchair that he sent along in the minibus every day, so I could use it if I felt I needed to. The guide and driver were also very helpful.

The chair was particularly useful at Karnak Temple and Dendera as the walk to the entrances is a long way..

There are plenty of people willing to help as already mentioned.

I would also ensure you request wheelchair assistance at the airport as you will get fastracked through.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,996 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disabled

If you do decide on a cruise maybe one of the smaller boats and ask for a room near the stairs. That way there is a shorter distance to go up or down. One of the decks will be on the same level as the dining room so that may be helpful.

You can see a lot from the boat passing by villages and farms, watching fishermen and all sorts of craft.

Some boats have private balconies so you don't need to go anywhere to see life pass by.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disabled

I know of one cruiseboat which has an elevator; the Semiramis 2. If there's one, there's bound to be more?

Regards,

Edward.

10. Re: Disabled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:17