We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

here goes part 2 !!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
here goes part 2 !!

well no more about the gaddiss hotel, every morning i used to walk across to the sonesta from the gaddis and every day i was asked did i want calech which i politley said no thanks, after about 3 days i was asked "why i never want calech and always walked !!"" to which i answered that" i was only going across the road a short distance" to be yelled at by the driver that i should be takin the calech and giving the drivers work so they can eat !! i told him i understood what he was saying and agreed what he said but still didnt want a calech,!! after that he left me alone

whilst we wer in egypt just after we had left the sonesta to go to the lantern cafe, an older man was help up with a gun !apparently the robber had been watching him draw money from the atm outside sonesta, and followed him then robbed him and got off on a motor bike,

we wer told there had been a couple of muggings on st josephs road but we didnt see anything,

i did notice there seems to be an awful lot more bikes on the road since the 2 years i was there last,

somthing i did notice is that the locals are getting a lot more aggresive in their tone to the visitors where as before "la shukran "used to sufice it dosent work now, and they follow you ,

laura got some sunburn on her back and jon-paul went to the chemist near KFC, to get some after sun and he was asked by a young local did he want ""something to sniff!!"" (cocaine) jon-paul told him what to do !

then the next night laura and jon-paul wer both asked if they wanted drugs, by a different guy , when we mentioned this to our taxi driver hassan he said a lot more drugs are on the streets now as the road is blocked between karnak and where they wer staying and a lot of the dealers from the karnak end have come up to the busier end where they wer to flog their crap ! and that the more aggresive locals wer from the karnak end as a few of the hotels in karnak end are closed,so theyr not doin any business down there, ??

since that night our taxi driver waited for us to come out the hotel and would walk with us to where ever we wer going so we didnt get any more hassle off them,

it was jon-pauls first time to egypt and his birthday on the friday so we booked the boat trip to denderah, as a suprise for him but the night before we went we wer told it was cancelled as no one else had booked!! so they gave us a free faluka trip as a suprise for jon-paul, which was brillaint,amd they rebooked us on the sunday trip which we went on but on that trip there was only 20 other people on it,

we booked that with larouse tours on the same street as the lantern cafe, and it cost us £45 each, iv been going to luxor since laura was 8 and shes 22 now and wev always done the trip, as a relaxing day and boy i saw some change this time as before after you had been to the temple and got back on the boat for dinner which used to be a terrific buffet meal with loads of different foods, this time they was a small tray of roast chicken, sliced beef, and a small tray of fish, a tin of red beans a few bowls of salads, and beetroot salad and then further over there wer a couple of desserts as normaly we had gataues (sp?) was gutted as i love me cakes!!

oh well never mind!! must say the sonesta palyed a blinder for JP,S bithday as we mentioned it was his birthday and they decorated their roon with streamers and balloons with a home made cake ready for them when they got back to the hotel,

same with the lantern cafe just mentioned to debie it was his birthday when we booked a table and at the end of the meals we got cocktails and a massive birthday cake as a suprise for him, we had a brilliant time that night..thanks debbie !!

just watch out on the road the lantern and deans cafe is on theres a young kid about 4 or 5 who was sat with his dad begging and when he came up and asked for money we said no so he spat at laura and told her to f,,k o,f, then ran back to his dad? laughing, but do not confuse him with the little lad who does shoe shine, he was a love , he asked me did i want my flip flops polishing !!! now he was a laugh !!

i spent most of my time either round the sonesta pool or on st jo,s roof, by the pool , did notice that a lot of the hotels are empty the sonesta had only 2 floors open and there was no fighting for sunbeds in the morning, !!

we took a trip over to the west bank one day showing jp carters house and hatchepsut temple and valley of the queens , which was a relief from the east bank hassles had a terrific day but same again most of the places wer deserted,

all in all i did enjoy my visit this time , not as much as before, and i think it may be a couple of years till i go back only to see if it picks up there ,

got to say though our aircraft going had 26 enpty seats and coming back there wer 40 empty seats and its a much smaller aircraft than we normaly go on to luxor,

luxor needs a miracle to happen to get it back the way it was a few years back, but i will still be going back,

Emo Tours Egypt - Day Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Aladin Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Luxor and Aswan Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Kingfisher Tours Egypt
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Fab, thanks for the update, we go 10th Aug and can't wait. I know it will be different to last year, but I live in a city and like anywhere you need to have your wits about you, my mum was pick pocketed in a cathedral in Italy. Normal rules of anywhere apply, guess things happen everywhere but in the light of recent events its highlighted more for luxor. It's my partner who is more trusting, last year I had to tell a woman to f off as she followed us for ten minutes and a normally laid back me had enough!

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for posting part 2, it has been eagerly awaited by us all on here.

Suzie :-)

Chester Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Oh dear I had better be careful how I write this response to this very interesting (here goes part2) in case my comments are removed.At the same time I am wondering if the topic part 2 will itself be removed as it is not conducive to make people visit Luxor at this present time. However I would just like to say you seem to be a person who takes no prisoners and Laura and JP must have been glad to see you and I would guess going anywhere with you would be a hoot! It has all been so interesting I am hoping there is a part 3.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: here goes part 2 !!

hiya dago how u duin i was sad to have to write the review it was an honest one from what i saw on my visit at that time, its rearly not ment to put people off goin luxor just to double warn them , its still an amazing place to visit and will defo be going back, for the first week jp and laura didnt go anywhere as they wer sick of the hassels believe me we had a riot when i got there ( best change that word riot!!) we had a mad one when i got there !

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Thank you Maggie.

We fly out on 27th July. Did think twice about going as easyJet offered us a refund on both flights & we're both pretty crocked at the moment.

Decided to go as I'll happily bask by the WP pool for a week and Mr DD found the bargain of the century - a week B&B at the Hilton for £400. Can't resist a bargain like that!

We'll get out and about when we can and we'll take all the precautions that common sense dictate.

Chester Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Just a quick comment about somethung that caught my eye.Could Divadarling just explain why she wants to spend a week by the pool in the WP when they have found a bargain of the century a week B&B at the Hilton.Tongue in cheek comment,are you contemplating spending your holiday apart! Have a great time as I am sure you will do.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: here goes part 2 !!

haha good one !!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Yes perhaps my post will be removed also, as it's not helping people go to luxor.

But what i will say to all these people that support Luxor and harp on that we must help the locals is don't, people go to Egypt for a holiday not to be abused, threatened, constantly harassed, Luxor is a complete mess just now, wild and lawless, and do not think otherwise.

Look at the facts.

Hotels empty, and only about 2% of the people that are there go out on the streets, so you will basically see no other tourist outside during the day away from the main sites. In the restaurants at night you will find a handful of people, but even now most of the restaurants are going to the shops to buy food as customers arrive.

I have been to many places round the world, and not in posh hotels etc, but living in the community, and i can honestly say i have never been to a worse place than Luxor, the constant hassle, begging, abuse, you can’t walk so don’t even try, Even in tourist sites there is the constant hassle and begging, even the tourist police looking for money. You can’t move without someone wanting something from you, is this meant to be called relaxing and fun, when they person asking for something has an angry tone about them. Lets get this straight “IT IS NOT OUR FAULT” for the situation they are in, if anything we can help them, but they can’t see it.

Trust me this is no holiday, i would sometimes sit down the lower cornice and watch many tourist come straight off boats and taken to sites, they witness nothing, so please if you are one of these people do not comment on this post, i am talking to people that actually walk around the streets.

Bottom line is Egypt is too corrupt, perhaps always has and always will be, but until there are police on the streets, i would not advise anyone to set foot in luxor.

The real problem is your average holidaymaker can’t speak out about Luxor or the ‘Luxorites’ jump on to them, forget the small percentage of people that return to see friends etc and are safe being with Egyptians, what about the average couple or family going there, can you honestly say they would have fun? And that answer we both know is NO.

Bob

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: here goes part 2 !!

Greetings Bob,

I read your post with interest and would have to say that there is a lot there that I would agree with.

I see no reason why it should be removed, as this SHOULD be a travel information site about Luxor, both good and bad opinions and NOT the Luxor fan club site.

I can see that various people with 'interests' in the tourist industry possibly wanting it to disappear, but if it does then I would advise you to complain to TA about the fact that it has been removed.

I am a regular visitor to Luxor and know what to expect, so am not troubled in the slightest by it, but obviously having learned how to 'deal' with it, coupled with a reasonable command of Arabic does, I admit, give me a great advantage over that of a first-timer.

I have myself, on almost every trip ended up being a guide and/or minder for 'newbies' I have met in various hotels I am staying in, as, like you say, the unrelenting hassle can make them a virtual prisoner there.

There have been quite a few threads on this subject recently, but it is really in my opinion, all down to how you handle the hassle.

You can get all stressed and angry because of it (and I admit it is very hard NOT to) or you can try to see it as a bit of the 'character' of the place and deal with it firmly and with a sense of humour.

Many on this forum advise 'head down and scurry past as quickly as possible' which is totally the wrong thing to do IMO, as a 'scared animal' will ALWAYS be pursued.

Be firm, confident, engage in a bit of playful banter, but do not allow yourself to be pressured or intimidated.

But I will be the first to admit that this is a lot easier to say, than to do and have to agree that it IS hard work at times, even for the most experienced and have to agree with your comment Bob, that perhaps not a constituent for a 'relaxing' holiday.

I would however (being one of the Luxor fan club, LoL) disagree with your view that it is not the place to go, because it is a great and very unique place, but would strongly advise any first-timers to research this 'part' of Luxor, so they at least have some idea of what to expect BEFORE arriving there, :-)

Edited: 28 July 2011, 13:16
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,892 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: here goes part 2 !!

I am concerned that people think posts reflecting badly on Luxor (or anywhere else) get removed by ?? (whoever that is)

Firstly we DEs don't have that sort of power anyway and I think most of us prefer to see a discussion about Luxor warts and all. We can vote along with everyone else, using the 'inappropriate button', but our vote carries the same weight as anyone elses

This is a forum after all - in the Cambridge on-line dictionary that is defined as:- " a situation or meeting in which people can talk about a problem or matter, especially of public interest"

TA exists to provide 'any' travel information to it's members, not just 'good' information to assist the travel industry in each forum area.

Anyone voting to remove postings only because they contain bad news is doing the rest of the members a dis-service