We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security at Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Security at Luxor

Hi all, what the current situ re police? ive read on some posts that they seem to have melted away? Surly there must still be some sort of presence?

Less police would equal more hassle i guess?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Security at Luxor

Hi Seti,

Although I am unable to give you an 'up to the minute' report on the police presence in Luxor, there WERE certainly a lot fewer on the streets during my recent visit there in April this year.

When I initially posted this observation on the forum, my comments were 'rubbished' by some other posters, but I am happy to say that there have been quite a few other posts since that have supported what I originally said, in that there ARE appreciably fewer police on the streets there.

I also thought that the police that WERE there did not step in to control any disturbances or to disperse any unruliness, as they always used to, which, whenever it happened, went on largely unabated.

That said, I would not say that Luxor was still not, in the main, safer than many other holiday destinations, but just not as 'tranquil' as it perhaps once was, but you should certainly not let any concerns put you off of visiting.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Security at Luxor

I agree with KV, I was also there in April/May and there were traffic police and tourist police (for what good they were, chocolate fireguard springs to mind), but there were NO proper police at all and traffic and tourist police were not as plentiful as before and in the main were asleep.

Whilst there were issues during my stay, as I have said on numerious occasions, at NO point where my wife and I in any danger of anything untoward happening to us (another enjoyable holiday in Luxor).

Again as KV has said, there is no more reason to be afraid in Luxor than any other tourist town/city (in fact as has been said before, I feel safer in Luxor, even at this time than most other places, especially at night).

Luxor is a fantastic place to visit, don't be put off going, by what you see on the tv or read in the papers.

scotland
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security at Luxor

less police than normal but presence is still fairly visable as of last week.never seen them do anything but then again haven't in all of three years ive been going

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Security at Luxor

At a recent meeting of expats and the new governor, it was apparently said that there will be a full police presence back on the streets in the immediate future. As I was not there, I do not have any more details.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security at Luxor

hiya as of last week there was a police presence but no where as many as there used to be, hardy saw any tourist police

6. Re: Security at Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 17:17