We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

First off, I am not a nit picker, but it seems to me that a spell check option on the Forum would be a good idea, when posting new topics and responses. I am not criticising other posters' grammar, in any way, but when we are referring to the names of places, temples, transport, ways to say no thanks, Egyptian dress, etc, etc, there are a multitude of variations on these themes.

Some of us who are familiar to the above can and do transcribe, but for those amongst us who are looking forward to a first experience, it must be mighty confusing.

Best wishes

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

The trouble is Stileto, that most (if not all) spellcheck applications do not work with names of places, sites, buildings, people, etc. even for 'English' locations as names are too variable.

To have one to spellcheck the names of Egyptian places, monuments, etc. would have to be specially made and cost a small fortune.

Likewise, existing spellcheckers would not have Egyptian named items such as Caleshe, galabaya, felucca, etc. in it's database and so again would have to be tailor made.

Good luck with trying to convince TA to put up the funding for this, but personally, I think there is more chance of Zahi Hawass moving to Guernsey, LoL !

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

Good idea, but realistically not possible.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

Given the variations in spelling of any Egyptian location, town or visitor site, clothing etc within Egypt it would be an impossible task.

I recall a small newspaper that one man started in Luxor. Some articles were in Arabic and others in Eglish. I don't think I saw 'Qurna' spelt the same twice! Some of the variations were - Qurna/ Gurna/Korna/Gorna - which seem reasonable but there were more I'm sure.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

You could always do what I know a few members do - write the reply, or even the OP in Word or some other word processing software, spell check it on the move and then paste into the reply box?

But KV's comments re known words still apply. My own custom dictionary is slowly filling up with the various names, as I use them, but who says the one is use is correct anyway - Is it Dendorah, Denderah, Dendera or what? (I think it's the first, but no doubt there will be a large diversity of opinion, most people telling me I'm wrong!)

I only use my suggestion above for longer posts I must admit.

I can spell, but my figners won’r do what the brian says thwese days.

5. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2011, 09:39
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

Hi Stileto :-)

I use Google Chrome as my internet browser,

When typing a post in TA it has an automatic spell checker function and underlines the supposed mis-spelt word in red - of course this doesn't work when I use my i-phone to make a post.

But I have to agree with what the others have said above regarding spelling for Egyptian words.

eLaReF - just to confuse you further I have always used Dendera or Denderah but the ticket has it as "Dandara"

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

And just to chuck a bit more water on the 'flames' of this well meaning idea, but the Egyptians themselves are probably the worst at spelling, or having variations on how to spell their own place names in English.

As a classic example, I draw your attention to the large billboard on the Corniche (not that it is difficult to miss) with proclaims that all visitors are 'Welcome to Luxour'.

As the others have mentioned, you can't 'spellcheck' a word with a PC application until you work out which spelling you are going to use for it, LoL !

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

And it's not just Arabic

I love Poppadums when I am having a curry

or is that Pappadams, Papadums, Popadoms ................................

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

Just to follow up Suziesoozes comment:-

I use Firefox

It spellchecks as well, but only once I have posted it and gone back in to edit the post!!!

It doesn't do it as I am typing this now!!

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How about a Spell Check Option on the Forum?

Thanks to all of you who have read and responded to my topic, I have shared lots of laughs, and I appreciate your humour and fact finding intelligence.

My idea is founded on long standing roots, for example, on my first trip to Luxor, some many years ago, prior to Google info and so forth, I was quite confused over the variation on names for sites, etc, in fact I thought in my ignorance, that there were, or could be, several sites and temples with similar names, in a particular place.

Today, whilst TA market intelligence and Google can supply most everything a new visitor need to know, there are still variations on names, sites, etc, etc. So, maybe, just as confusing to some, still.

I have to applaud KV's suggestion,'that I stand more chance of Zahi Hawass moving to Guernsey, rather than TA going for this'. I am not altogether sure that we would want him, but, methinks that he would fit in well with some of the other Rentiers here.

Guernsey is a good place to be, for a short break between our Egyptian holidays, why not try it?

Best wishes to all - a la perchoine

Get answers to your questions about Luxor