We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers' cheques.

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers' cheques.

I realise that this may well be an "old fashioned" way of carrying money, but here goes anyway ....

The only places we have been able to cash our travellers' cheques were at the El Luxor Exchange/ bank and Thomas Cook (2% charge).

When I bought them (from M&S!!!) I was told that there have been trouble in Spain & Italy, well, now they can add Egypt to their list.

Add that to the Ramadan bank hours & money has been a bit of a sore subject!

I "don't do" ATMs in Egypt, well, not since a nasty experience, but looks like I'll have to think again for next year.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 20:31
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers' cheques.

People have reported before that it is becoming more difficult to change travellers cheques in Luxor. I've never particularly liked using them, although I appreciate the security aspect of them, so rarely do.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers' cheques.

I agree about the security aspect but they have always felt a bit cumbersome and people view them with a touch of suspicion when you change them. They always remind me of monopoly money.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers' cheques.

Are they picky about the state of English notes?

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers' cheques.

Yes, from other posters experience it would appear they can be picky about the state of English notes. I personally have never had a problem in this respect but I many just have been lucky. Best to try to get some decent ones before going.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers' cheques.

Yes, tellers CAN be picky about English notes. We had a bad experience in the Thomas Cook exchange at the Winter Palace but, after a few words between the teller and my hubby, they did decide to exchange the particular note - the 'damage' to the note was miniscule!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,894 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers' cheques.

I'm always puzzled at this picky attitude.

With the state of their own notes, they should have no reason to complain about anyone else's!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers' cheques.

That was EXACTLY the argument we used in the Thomas Cook Exchange!!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers' cheques.

I use TCs as I worry about carrying large amounts of money anywhere, especially when travelling - we're not as fast as we used to be!

Glasgow, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers' cheques.

IF not travellers cheques should we carry only egypian pounds?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers' cheques.

It is also important, wherever you change your money, to check that the Egyptian notes you receive (although very likely to be dirty) are in a reasonable condition.

I say this because earlier this year I changed some GB pounds into Egyptian currency in a bank in Luxor and immediately upon leaving the bank I went a short distance away to pay for something I had purchased in a nearby shop.

The problem was that the staff in the shop refused to take one of the notes I had just beem given by the bank (a 50LE note) because it had a small part of one of the corners missing - no serial numbers or print of any kind was missing, just a small part of plain paper on the corner of the note.

I paid with my goods with a different note and returned to the bank to exchange the damaged note.

However, being Egypt, it wasn't that simple and the bank teller whom had given me the note only minutes before, announced that he could not exchange it as it was damaged and I would have to pay 25LE to change it.

After much shouting and counter banging and demands to see the manager, he hurridly exchanged the note for a 'good' one.

This clearly was an attempted 'scam' on his part, but visitors should be mindful of the notes they receive, so the same thing cannot be tried on them, or to stop them having problems if they don't notice a 'bum' note until quite a while later.