We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques

We have just booked a 7 day nile cruise on hms Stephanie with 3 nights in Cairo and 4 nights in Luxor....... our question is:

we are thinking of taking travellers cheques with us: will this be a problem getting them cashed at all especilaly on the cruise?

Jan Scotland

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi there and welcome to the Luxor forum

I would advise that you take Sterling and cash it when you get there as you'll get a better rate of exchange. One TA member recently had difficulty in changing TCs, plus you are charged a percentage for cashing them.

Being from Scotland though, do NOT take Scottish notes with you as you cannot exchange these. Make sure they are all English denomination and in good condition or you may find the tellers refuse to cash them.

May I also point you in the direction of our Top Questions section which you'll find written in blue down the right hand side of the forum page. If you click on topics that interest you, you'll get more selections to choose from. There is an awful lot of information there, but it really is worth trawling through some of it as many of your questions will be answered there.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please just ask :o)

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

Thank you for that...our fear was to carry a lot a cash would not be sensible however we will look at the top questions many thanks

jan

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

We always just take cash with us now - we split it between us though so that one person isn't carrying all the money. Once at the hotel, it all goes into the safe. I'm not sure if you get safes on the cruise boats, but if not, check at reception to see if they have safety deposit boxes, or lock money, passports etc. in your suitcases.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

IMO he neccessity to take travellers cheques is pointless and outdated.

We only did so on our first ever trip to Egypt (almost 20 years ago) but things have changed very much since then.

As Marlscat suggests, take sterling notes and 'change as you go' (for the best rate) you will find that this is the method most of the regular visitors adopt, because it is easy and convenient.

Travellers cheques are just an uneccessary complication.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

Banks and hotels will not change nor accept travellers cheques any more because of the fraud that has been associated with them in the past. Advisable to take cash or use the ATMs.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

Had KV not already said it, my response would have been exactly the same, including the 1st time cruise 20 or so years ago and taking cheques then as the only time I have done so.

It's too much hassle, including the need to have your passport for ID, when mine lives in the Hotel safety deposit box

Edited: 29 August 2011, 09:40
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques

Many thanks for all your support on this matter this has helped us decide....thank you

Jan

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers Cheques

We found that Thomas Cook by the Winter Palace changed our cheques (2% fee). Always used travel cheques before, as I have had trouble with ATMs, but this was the last time we'll bother with them.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers Cheques

We have changed travellers cheques at the bank inside the sonesta st george on previous visits. use them as back up if the atm is not working or problems with card etc. having read a previous post which suggests they

are no longer accepted can anyone please advise if the sonesta st george

bank has now also stopped changing them. if so we will make other arrangements as visiting again on sept 28th. thanks for any moe advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers Cheques

It is obviously everybodies personal choice, but I simply cannot see any benefits that travellers cheques may have, outwieghing the inconvenience and hassle you have to go thru to change them.

And there are loads of ATMs throughout Luxor, should the 3 inside the Sonesta and the one outside all not be working at the same time, which even for Luxor, is very unlikely.