We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just returned

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
300 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
just returned

Had a fab two weeks,thanks to all the lovely folks we met esp. Bamboos and mrs Bamboos.the company made the holiday but

Luxor needs to sort itself out bigtime,I will not be going back anytime soon,I will be looking for somewhere to spend my money for the time being.hotel was fantastic,staff lovely,it was the n.p hotel.

Had some fab meals out at puddleducks mmm

Lantern and 7days.more to follow

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just returned

Glad you had a lovely time, what's putting you off going back? Is it the hassles to part you from your cash?

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just returned

Glad it's not just me then. Are you a frequent visitor or was this your first time?

liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just returned

Cant wait to hear your report

Edited: 16 September 2011, 12:57
liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just returned

Cant wait to hearyour report

Level Contributor
300 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just returned

Hi all,no I'm not a first timer been 4 times.

The hassle I find easy to deal with,only had 1incident that nearly turned nasty.

The main thing for me is the lack of law and order.after speaking to a few Egyptians the definition of democracy is 'il do what I want'.in my opinion is heading out of control,and has been wholly forgotten by the interim government.

As bad are the filthy stinking streets,the skin +bone caleche horses,the British ladies of a certain age with their 'boyfriends/husbands,singal men with their'friend', this made us this years as sisters travelling together explaining ourselves everyone gets tarred with the same brush.and yes I realise it always has gone on but I also don't want it in ma face.

Basic common sense needs to get a look in.lynda

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: just returned

Unfortunately, I can only agree with most of what cookiesmum says in reply no.5, as I also saw a marked deteriation in the behaviour of many (mostly young males) when in Luxor a few months ago.

Gangs of 'cocky' yobs hanging around on the streets, or tearing around on small motorbikes, with seemingly no respect for anyone or anything, was something else I never thought I would see in Luxor.

It did not bother me too much, but I can see it intimidating many.

The tourist police (when there were any around) did not seem to want to get involved in any disturbances and in the past the situation would be calmed if an 'elder' remonstrated, but the young now seemed not to have the 'respect' they always used to have for their elders and basically just laughed at them.

It's a great shame, because it is a lot less 'tranquil' and peaceful in Luxor now than it once was IMO and a great many people will be turned off by it, as cookiesmum's views clearly show I think.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just returned

At last .

A destination expert admitting that Luxor at this moment in time is not a very pleasant place to be. Well done KV Explorer

brentwood
Level Contributor
175 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just returned

KV

Well said, its time for some local policy to be enforced on the local youths.

I was there with cookiesmum, and i can only enforce her comments, i assume that when it was busy, we did not see to much of the other side of Luxor, and what they go to Luxor for. but as the tourists for the history stay away, the other sort of tourist still comes, and they stand out more, but each to their own, it did not offend us in anyway, just noticed it more.

The whole place was a ghost town, such a shame to see so many restaurants and shops closed, or just not doing any trade.

our trip report to follow tomorrow.

Bamboos

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: just returned

I have posted a number of times recently of the lesser attractive sides of Luxor MATTHEW, as I always like to 'tell it like it is' but strangely, for some reason my posts keep disappearing before they are read by many people.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just returned

As someone whose posts have suffered a similar fate to those of KV-explorer (Although nowhere near his total) I would like to remind readers of TA's slogan - "Get the Truth and Go"

I have no idea how we achieve that if the un-palatable truth is censored by those for whom it might be inconvenient.

Edited: 16 September 2011, 23:26