We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

We will include Luxor during our vacation in Egypt.

I read one place that cameras are not allowed in the Valley of the Kings? Is this so? Has anyone been?

Thank you all!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

They were not allowed when I was there in May 2010 and as far as I know, that situation has not changed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

The camera ban in the VoK is still in place. If you have a look at the top questions written in blue down the right hand side of this page and scroll down the alphabetical list to 'Photography', you'll find links with information there.

You'll also find information in this recent thread about the same subject

Level Contributor
187 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

We have just come home, last Friday we visited the valley of the kings, you can not take cameras in, you hand them in on entry they are out in safety box and you get key, or leave them in the car with driver.

You can take them in to valley of queens, nobles and valley of workers but cannot take photos in any of the tombs.

We thought best tombs were in valley of the workers as they were the artists there tombs are painted so beautifully and colourful.

Have a great time,

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

If you search on this forum you will find previous posts on this topic.

Anyone caught trying to subvert the ban is likely to get their camera/phone/memory card confiscated

Is it worth the risk? I doubt it.

(I'm not suggesting you were thinking it - just writing this for all readers of this post)

Level Contributor
833 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

Did VOK 2 weeks ago, and saw someone get caught taking photos on his phone. If I was him, I would have wanted the ground to swallow me up, as such a fuss was made, and his guide had to intervene. It was by no means a subtle telling off. My tip, buy the postcards which are thrust at you by the sellers on the way out, as they have good pictures.

6. Re: Are cameras allowed at Valley of the Kings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 03:16