We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets!!!

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Toilets!!!

Having been to Marrakesh, Tunisia and Cairo I think I know what to expect in Luxor. Am I correct in thinking that toilets around the tourist sights should be avoided but those in the better restaurants are okay?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilets!!!

....you forgot Paris, NY, Chicago, LA, etc., etc. We have traveled in many countries around the world and have found that the toilets around tourist sites are always disgusting. The only cities I Have visited and cannot say that about are Tokyo and London.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilets!!!

I have travelled through USA (and lived out there) and travelled in Europe but the 'make do' toilets in the Atlas Mountains were really to be avoided at all costs!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilets!!!

I've been in some very bad toilets around the world, some of which were in Egypt, but I have to say that most of the toilets in the restaurants and hotels that I've visited in Luxor are just fine (in particular, the restaurants that are owned/run by British proprietors, are generally very good in my own experience).

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilets!!!

In case you get caught out take a handy pack of tissues and a small bottle of hand sanitiser gel ;)

I quickly cottoned on that it was best to use the loo on the tour bus!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilets!!!

Not to get too scary disgusting and paranoid here, but in some countries we have gone to a local store and purchased a small bottle of bleach. Use the bleach on the bottoms of your shoes before you go back and walk on your hotel carpet, or put your shoes on the bed, back into your luggage.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilets!!!

In the USA if you see a "Porta-Potty" or "Out-House" as we call them, close your eyes and hold your breath before opening the door. What a lovely subject string this has become. I'm finished here. :)

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilets!!!

Bleach now that's a good idea, parazone do wipes!

Edited: 25 September 2011, 18:05
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilets!!!

Let's face it folks; nothing matches your own loo for comfort and security !

As for Egyptian toilets, that's where the 'djinn' lives, and in many cases, that's why they aren't cleaned. for want of disturbing him. I kid you not !

Keep it clean!

Edward.

Edited: 25 September 2011, 18:07
Clevedon, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilets!!!

Oh jeezzzzz,what a subject.

i think India have some of the worst loo,s ,but then again all countries have some cack places..........and its the public overall that makes them so disgusting..........but i,ve never seen any public toilets around Luxor.........but most hotels will allow you to use theirs.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilets!!!

The worst toilet I ever had the misfortune to visit was in France, near Bergerac.