We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

OK, lay down your weapons folks, it's just a question and a comment and not an attack against anyone.

Everyone has their own style of travel, and nobody can really say what or who is right or wrong.

Personally, I have a long list of places on this planet that I have visited and yet a longer list of places I want to visit. The idea of a time share or any regular visit to the same place is just not in my makeup. I do beleive that familiarity will breed contempt. So, I do not think I have ever wished to go to the same place time and time again. Maui, Hawaii is the place that I have visited the most number of times. Love it there, but after several visits it loses its appeal as a Holiday destination....for me.

While reading the many posts on Luxor, this notion rings in my ear. I ask, after several visits to Luxor is this place still held in the same regard as the first time you visited? Probably not, as you have gotten close enough to see through the makeup and notice the pimples and the warts.

So, I offer this bit of advice to anybody who is new to this Forum. First, remove the outliers...that is take away the rave reviews that may or not be genuine, and take away the worst reviews which may also be tainted. Then take the rest and just use them as helpful tips and suggestions rather than absolute truth and gospel. After all, they are just opinions -- and there are as many opinions in the world as there are people.

Remember that each of us is different in almost every way and just because someone loved or hated the location does not mean the same will happen for you.

I'm going to Egypt for the first and perhaps only time, and I plan to have a wonderful time and fully expect that will be the outcome.

We will see upon my return whether I am a "Rosy Glasses" (naive)kind of guy or not. No matter what my experience and what I say about it when I return, does not mean that you should assume that the same will happen for you.

Do yourself a big favor, Use this Forum for ideas and tips, but discount all of the extremes and do not listen to the sreaming heads on either side of the issues.

UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

Good approach Eddie,

Luxor is one of the most fascinating cities on Earth...the people are amongst the most kind and helpful people you could meet.

They are poor...the country is going through a crisis...the Military might seem, to some observers, to have achieved a 'coup d'etat' and to be controlling things in their own interests...better to create chaos than order for a while???

Have a great time - if you and I had family to feed we might be MORE aggressive than the locals?

Matt.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

As you say Eddie L, everybody is unique and different.

Before I first went to Egypt I was of a similar view to yourself, as in 'There are so many places to go in the world, why 'waste' a travel opportunity by going back to somewhere you have already been' and go somewhere new each time !

Then (almost 20 years ago) I went on my first trip to Egypt and now I am about to embark on my 40ish trip there.

Why ? I can't really put my finger on a specific reason, just that there is something about the place that is captivating and has certainly captured me.

Most other places I would have been bored with after the third or fourth visit, but that is obviously not so with Egypt.

And in answer to your question, I get more out of every visit there, far more than when I was a gullible first-timer.

Knowing how things work there, speaking a bit of the language, knowing the 'do's' and the don'ts', the haggling, the hassle and how to deal with it all, knowing where to go and where not to go, only serves to enable me to get MORE out of a trip there now, that I ever could have on my first visit.

But my familiarity will never allow me to recognise and advise others of it's flaws and it has a very long list of them, but to me, the things that I like and that are unique there, outweigh these flaws.

For others it is not the case and they will never return, but as you said, we are all different !

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

Should say above that my 'familiarity (with Luxor) will never allow me to NOT recognise and advise others of it's flaws'

Just thought I had better point that out, LoL !

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

Thanks KV:

Different Strokes for Different Folks, and so on.... :-) Some see flaws and some see character.

I cannot afford the Egypt addiction and I'm jealous that you Brits can...so I'll just have to soak it all up in one grand swoop thru.

A smart person once told me that "the only thing in the world that always remains the same is change, so get used to it."

Maybe we'll run into each other one of these days.

Best Wishes....and Cheers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

Oh it's got plenty of 'character', or that's what I used to try to tell myself during my early visits there, whilst spending hour after hour on the toilet, whilst it seemed the whole world was passing thru me, or you find you've been bitten by things you never knew existed, or you watch as the waiter drops part of your meal on the floor, picks it up and wipes it on his trousers and then is 'mystified' when you happen to mention it, etc. etc. LoL !

But Hey, if that stuff doesn't happen, then your not really in Egypt, because you will laugh about it all for years afterwards, LoL !