We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

Has anyone been on this boat, we are going in a couple of weeks but can't find any reviews at all, got a good deal though!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

Hi,

If you use this link and go down to post number 6 you will find someone who has been fairly recently so you might be able to contact them for more details ?. The link is :- tripadvisor.co.uk/…36091606

Hope that assists

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

Thanks for that, have not been able to find any info at all.

Essex
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

The boat is docked at Bogdaddy a few miles outside of Luxor, my good lady and I went on it twice in three weeks and had a brill time.

PM me if you want more info.

Gray

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

I've pm you, or I think I have - first time on here!

5. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 October 2011, 17:05
uk.
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

HI YES me and my husband and dadm age 77 ,went on this boat, our first cruise ever,, and my god was it brill,, staff cant fault the boat nice and clean brill pool food brill, honest not a bad word to say, cabin nice good size, you will have a great time, we hope to book and go again in next few weeks.

East sussex
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

Can I ask where people have booked their cruise? website PMs would be appreciated! Have wanted to go to Egypt all my life and am totally new to booking cruises! :) I'm looking to go in February 2012

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

We booked through youtravel.com, seemed to be about the cheapest that we found!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

Thats great to hear thanks, we thought it might be a tin can after finding another bout just called M-S Champollion that Princess Di was booked to go on at some point! Maybe this is the one you went on and ours is a tin can !!!

Penrith, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: M-S Champollion S11 - nile cruise

I recently returned from Egypt after my 13th Nile cruise, & for the first time I was dissatisfied with the cruise boat. Previously I have travelled with well known companies where the flight, transfers, boat, & hotel in Luxor are always overseen by efficient reps, including one who is there for the duration of the cruise. This time I had a built up package of a Thomson flight (fine) a YouHotel boat (dreadful) & a return to my own choice of hotel, the Sonesta St. George (excellent).

I was booked on MS Sun Azur, but on arrival was told it was out of commission (spotted later sailing by) so was ‘upgraded’ to MS Champollion (5*). I can’t imagine what the former was like, but I would be hard pressed to give the Champollion even 3 stars, & for the following reasons:-

1. It was moored close to the bridge about 6k from the town of Luxor

2. It was shabby (carpet stains, fusty smell)

3. The cabins were small, no drawers

4. The water in the shower was cold, eventually after 2 days it was fixed

5. There was no plug in the sink (I wondered if any rings had been lost down it)

6. The lavatory had a small exit hole & worked by suction rather than flushing

7. The key would not turn in the lock of the cabin door which meant calling for assistance every time. The key was changed but the problem remained. On the 5th day I mastered a technique of angling the key as far as it would go clockwise (a couple of millimetres) & rapidly ‘jiggling’ the key in & out till it hit the spot in order to open the door. As there were no public lavatories on board, on one occasion when I couldn’t open the door I had to ask someone in a neighbouring cabin if I could use theirs.

8. Several passengers said they’d smelled diesel oil but it wasn’t until the boat was moored in Luxor that I awoke one morning at 4.30 to find very strong diesel fumes in the cabin. I opened the windows & the cabin door to get a through draught because it was coming through the air conditioning vent in the ceiling. My friend had to go down to reception to report it. I found this situation most alarming, if not dangerous, & am thankful that an irritating bite had awakened me before we’d ingested more of the fumes.

9. In the dining room, the crockery was chipped, and had damaged & stained glazing round the rim of many of the cups. It was often difficult to find an unblemished one.

10. At breakfast on the tables, there were never any teaspoons, the hot water in the thermos flasks for making the tea & coffee (instant) was only replenished on request. The cereals were of limited variety & served from very small bowls. There were never sufficient tea bags. Always it was necessary to ask for everything. Perhaps a ploy for a tip?

11. The buffet in the dining room was at one end so progress was slow & the choice of food was limited & very repetitive. Watch out vegetarians, almost every time the vegetables, (which would have been fine on their own), had meat mixed in with them!

12. On the deck there was no bar service (although there was a bar), so it meant a trip below to order any refreshments.

13. The towels on the deck were old (some frayed & with holes), & soon ran out, necessitating a trip below to reception to ask for more.

14. My friend & I hadn’t booked any of the excursions but were still allocated a guide who doubled up as the rep. He collected £15 on the first day for tips for the boat crew. On the last day there was a box on the reception desk for tips. This caused much dissatisfaction among the passengers. When I discussed the tips situation with the guide/rep & suggested in future he followed the method used by all the other Nile cruise boats I had sailed on, i.e. give each passenger 2 envelopes, one for the crew & the other for the guide, & suggest a suitable amount for each, leaving it to the discretion of the passengers as to how much they give according to the service they felt they had received. He suggested that I look at my fellow passengers & asked me if I thought they would give anything at all. I thought it was an uncalled for remark, & concluded that he had to collect the money at the beginning if the week, because it was very unlikely that anyone, myself included, would have been satisfied with the conditions on board to be generous in their tipping. I think it is bad policy for a guide to double up as a rep.

What you must understand is that I fell in love with Egypt on my first visit in 1996, and since then have been an ambassador bringing with me over the years many, many friends, most of whom have returned either with me or with other friends & relatives. Whenever I have the opportunity (to the point of boring people) I enthuse about the delights & wonders of a Nile cruise. I am most thankful that it wasn’t the first trip on the Nile for the friend travelling with me this time, I would have been so ashamed & embarrassed to have introduced anyone to Egypt for the first time & have them sail on MS Champollion instead of experiencing the Nile on one of the very many excellent boats I’ve used in the past.

Barbara Wright