We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice required

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advice required

Hi All

We are looking to visit Luxor next year (June) and i have a few questions to ask that i hope you Luxor experts might be able to answer for us.

Hotel recommendations, All inclusive or B&B?

How far is the Valley of the Kings and other historical sites away from the hotel?

Not looking to cruise, just a hotel.

7 or 14 nights?

Any other advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation of lots of replies........;-)

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice required

Hi badgerlad and welcome to the Luxor forum.

Hotel recommendations:-

*Do you have a budget in mind?

*Town centre? out of town resort type hotel? smaller local run hotel with more of an Egyptian feel to it?

There are currently only two hotels which offer All Inclusive in Luxor, the Iberotel and the Pyramisa Isis. However my personal preference is to always opt for Bed and Breakfast, there are some fantastic restaurants (Egyptian, Italian, Chinese, Indian, British) in Luxor all which offer excellent value for money ranging from £3 to around £13 for a 3 course meal and at least you won't get bored with repetitive buffet food.

Go for 14 nights if you can IMO seven is never enough there is WAY too much to see and too little time to see it all in.

As for distance to the sites, it all depends on where you are staying, the best way to get an idea of distances and where everything is to have a look at Google Earth.

If you have a look through the top questions on the right hand side of the forum page there are links to hotel and restaurant reviews, maps, advice on clothing, weather, sightseeing and other useful information which might help you plan your time in Luxor.

Once we get an idea of hotel budget, location etc I'm sure you will get lot's more recommendations.

Suzie

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice required

B&B, but cannot recommend a hotel without knowing what sort of class you want, or whether East or West Bank.

The furthest distance from any hotel in Luxor, would be about a 35/40 minute drive to the VOK, with some, on the West side in particular, being a lot closer.

!4 nights, obviously!

Come with an open mind, but always be cautious when money is at stake.

Best wishes,

Edward.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice required

Hi

Thank you both for the welcome and the excellent replies and advice.

Looking to spend around £600 each (if that would be enough for 14 nights that would be great), with a pool, in a relatively busy part of town.

Have stayed in Sharm before so unfortunatley have only that experience of Egypt in my head. Big 4/5 star All Inclusive hotel complexes, but as we're getting on a bit now we would like to see some of the wonderful things that our ancestors have left behind, hence a visit to Luxor.

What price are the beers and spirits?

Have visited India a lot over recent years so I understand the need for an open mind......;-)

Thank you again

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice required

In June you will be able to find good deals at affordable 5-Star hotels in Luxor. I would choose the 14 nights and take the opportunity to visit other places in Egypt such as Cairo, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Kom Ombo, Edfu etc.

Egypt has a local production of beer (Stella and Sakkara) and wine. Prices are affordable depending on where you buy them. A bottle of local beer is about 25 LE in restaurants, and 12-15 LE if you buy it directly from a shop. I recommend Stella beer (bottles NOT cans). Imported spirits on the other hand are EXPENSIVE in Egypt, especially at restaurants so it's better to buy them upon arrival at major airports in Egypt.

CHEERS

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice required

Hi there

Re beer and spirits, the local beer is really quite reasonably priced, but will be cheaper in the restaurants, cafes, etc. compared to the hotels. Be aware also that not all restaurants etc. sell alcohol.

Any imported alcohol is expensive. You can get cheaper local alternatives, but personally I think you're better to bring in your own favourite tipple from the UK and buy your mixers over there, as they are cheaper in the supermarkets. You can also buy from duty free on landing in Luxor, but sometimes they may not have what you want. Prices in the duty free are marked in US Dollars (but you can use Sterling or LE to pay - not sure if you get a good exchange rate though). This link to the Egyptian duty free shops may help

http://www.egyptfreeshops.com/index.htm

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice required

Stella is 8le per bottle in Luxor, I only know 'cause I took a guest to the shop last week. I'm a tea man!

There are some lovely hotels in the southern part of the town, but that is where the main hassle is as well, the Winter Palace (Pavilion or main building) and the El Luxor are much more central, with (IMHO) less hassle about.

Regards,

Edward.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice required

Hi

Thanks again for your replies.

Just a few more questions....;-)

Have found a possible hotel: The Steigenberger Nile Palace, have read the reviews, can anyone else give me any details on the location, is it near lots of restaurants and bars?

Is it better to book trips with a local place or the tour operator?

How much spending money would you take for 14 nights, eating out for lunch and dinner with drinks, all trips and tips?

Last one for now...;-)

Is it safe? (to walk around/use taxis ...etc...)

As i have already said i have been to India many times and have answered this question on the Goa forum, so please don't take offence.

Thanks again for your knowledge

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice required

I think you will find these maps helpful to show you the location of the hotels, restaurants and sites.

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/southluxor.htm

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/centralluxor.htm

luxortraveltips.com/maps/westbankferry.htm

There are many places in Luxor that you can book tours. It's worth researching what you think you would like to do and then planning around that rather than necessarily taking an 'off the peg' tour eg from a UK agent.

Edit to add- I agree with the others - go B&B. There are so many restaurants on both sides of the river it would be a shame to miss them. You can always eat in the hotel if don't fancy going out one night!

'Is it safe? (to walk around/use taxis ...etc...)'

From my experience I would say yes, it is safe, so long as you don't leave your common sense in the UK and throw all caution to wind. ;-0

If you are concerned about taxi's there are many of us that can recommend drivers we have used and trust.

Edited: 09 November 2011, 19:12
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice required

The Nile Palace is a lovely hotel. Although I haven't stayed there; I visit regularly for refreshments, and have had the guided tour of the rooms etc on several occasions. It's also just over the road from 'Little Britain Street', so called because of all the English type cafes there.

I would say that the only possible drawback would be that this is the area where most of the derogatory Luxor reports seem to come from regarding hassle and unpleasantness.

Luxor is as safe as anywhere IMHO, and safer than many a place.

Best wishes,

Edward.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice required

Thank you for the excellent and honest advice again.

I may be back with more questions so don't go away...........;-)