We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Luxor/Aswan now

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
In Luxor/Aswan now

Just spent 4 days in Luxor and am now in Aswan. I have found the hassle to be roughly the same as always. Yes you do get all the taxi, calleche, shop keepers calling at us but a polite no and a smile has been sufficient. We did have problems with the pick pocket in st Joseph street but as we were for warned we quickly got rid of him, he was trying to put his hand in my pocket underneath the scarf. I have been taking my son and girlfriend around the sites and they seem to attract more attention from the sellers, books trinkets etc than if it was just me. We travelled to Aswan today and staying at the Isis Island and have been sailing around all afternoon and also had a meal in the falluca, which was lovely, sailed up to the old dam. My son is now in Cairo and meeting us tonight.

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Russia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

You have arrived in Lu by the bus? Whence?

I want to go by bus from Hurgada to Luxor the Egyptian flight itself, without group, but not excursion. It isn't dangerous?

Mentioned in this post
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

Hi pansionatdeaz. I have no idea about traveling from Hurgada to Luxor but we travelled from Luxor to Aswan arranged with a local travel company and its is not dangerous so you should have no problem organizing it yourself. There are no flights between Hurgada and Luxor so you will have to go via taxi or mini bus. I believe there is a local bus service but I have no knowledge of that

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

A sail round the islands in Aswan .... just thought you would like to know that I am JEALOUS!

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

We stayed at the isis the first week it opened many moons ago about 8 of us it was like winning the lottery wonderd if its changed

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

The SuperJet bus leaves Luxor about 8pm nightly from the street to the right of the railway station you need to get tickets in advance from the office in the same street, around 50le each. Takes about 4 hours.

R

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

Just returned from Egypt - did a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan and also spent a couple of days in Cairo. Really enjoyed the whole trip - no problems at all anywhere (including Cairo) and also no queues anywhere! Would not hesitate to visit again.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
7. Re: In Luxor/Aswan now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:15