We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides and tombs

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Guides and tombs

Why are guides not allowed in tombs?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides and tombs

To stop them lecturing their groups within the tomb and causing the group to 'gather' around them at a particular spot (halfway along a corridor perhaps) and thereby blocking the 'flow' of people thru the tomb.

This would not present too much of a problem in the present climate of very low tourist numbers, but if you can imagine 3 or 4 guides lecturing their own groups in a particular tomb at the same time, during busy times, then I am sure you would agree that it would completely ruin the tomb 'experience' for many.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides and tombs

Oh, yeh....I forgot about the big groups. That makes sense, thanks.

I was thinking on a one to one basis.

Chester
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides and tombs

So you go into a tomb and have no real idea what you are looking at. Its all about quantity over quality then???

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides and tombs

Reading a good book/guide book to the VoK and/ or New Kingdom Egypt will give a good insight into the tombs one is looking at.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guides and tombs

It would all depend on how you look at it, I think.

Many would say that their 'quality' of tomb visit was ruined by the tomb having loads of guides in there 'jabberring away' to their groups at the same time, if this was permitted, as it is the 'total silence' and atmosphere in some of the deeper tombs that a lot of people find unique and fascinating.

As far as going into a tomb and having no idea what you are looking at, well, for those who don't read up on any particular tombs before they visit them (recommended especially if you don't use a guide) those that are part of a guided tour group, will find that their guide will (or should) tell them about any specific points of interest, in any particular tomb just before they enter it.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guides and tombs

We did some advance reading and then our guide spent some time before we entered each tomb explaining what we were about to see. It seemed odd at first, but in one or two tombs I had so much trouble breathing in the confined spaces that if anyone had been talking it would have been panic time for me. ;)

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guides and tombs

"So you go into a tomb and have no real idea what you are looking at."

You could say the same about someone who hadn't bothered to learn to read opening a book! It all depends on your personal level of interest.

While Mr Explorer (and thousands of others, I should add) still manages to find the VoK fascinating after so many years; I was very happy to have seen it and several tombs a few times, but now I have no real interest in going back!

The decoration and lay-out are of enough interest in themselves for many visitors, and don't require further explanation, whilst other folk want to know everything that there is to know, about the excavation and the particular Pharaoh etc. etc. That's part of the beauty of Luxor's antiquities: there's something for everyone!

But, if you are keen to know what you are looking at then you need to either read up on the tombs which are likely to be open, employ a personal guide, or join a travel agent's group.

Have fun,

Edward.

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guides and tombs

Any time we have been at the VofK our guide has given us a detailed explanation of the tombs before we entered them and then they waited outside for us to ask any questions if we had any, before moving onto the next tomb. The same at Abu Simbel.

If you have a good guide then they will definately make sure that you know what you are going in to look at before you enter it.

YS

South Wales Gwent
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Guides and tombs

yasmine-sarah thats exactly what suppose to happen and all this nonsense of reading books is completely OTT unless one is to go into depth about a particular Pharoh and then it's time to get reading but as far as I am concerned the guides give more than enough info for the average tourist, with regards to the original question Why are Guides not allowed in Tombs I think it is a good thing because I have been stuck many times waiting for a group to move or waiting to see a particular part of the tomb or being pushed away by a group and it's so annoying and frustrating, " quantity over quality " then yes if that is the way you want to look at it, or the other way is to pay attention to what the guide has to say before you enter the Tomb.

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Guides and tombs

Well said Paul! :-) im not one for reading all about it before I go, it ruins the surprise :-) plus im not wanting to be an Egyptologist, just the facts is enough for me. Can get a bit templed out at times.

Thanks for bringing it back to basics Paul, and a Happy New Year!

YS

Get answers to your questions about Luxor