We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deans

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GB
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Deans

Is Deans still serving beer and alchol please?

Belinda

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deans

Hi there

When I ate there in September/October 2011 they were most definitely still serving beer.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deans

There is a list of licensed restaurants in Luxor, these questions seem to be set up to help the police here in Luxor, first Gerdas Gardens now Deans look at the list then take your chances elsewhere.

R

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deans

Thanks Ras, I have added your inside page into to the Top Questions section under 'food'

preston
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deans

Spent 2 weeks from 23rd November

Deans was serving Beer and wine when we ate there ken

GB
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Deans

Ras2 for your information the question is genuine. I am not out to catch anyone.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Deans

Ras2 whilst you pointing to the Luxor Licensed Bars & Restaurants is helpful, please be aware it is NOT complete, so I don't understand your post (2).

Yes Deans does sell Alcohol as does a restaurant/bar within the complex (name escapes me) where The Mandarin Restaurant in Karnak is, there are others to that are NOT on that list. I am sure other contributors will also be able to add to the list. So lets not be quit so flippant with people just asking a question.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deans

I think the point is that alcohol may be available at a restaurant, but not with full permits iyswim. Hence the suggestion that threads like this might 'help the police'.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 20:32
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deans

I happen to be the only foreign person here in Luxor to hold an alcohol license; in fact I hold two, not my restaurants me personally. I therefore speak with a certain amount of authority on the subject, I have seen with my own eyes print outs from this site on the desks of those responsible to check.

If other restaurants have recently received a license so be it but as far as I am concerned the list is correct, but I will check tomorrow and update if necessary. ALL licenses are renewed annually at the end of each year so I have been dealing with these officers last month.

Hopefully no one is intentionally trying to catch anyone out but these threads may just help do that.

Suzie has added the info to top questions about Luxor so its more easy to find it; this IS the list of restaurants and bars with the owner or manager licensed to sell alcohol in them.

Regards

R

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Deans

Sorry to sound callous Ras2 but if a restaurant/bar sells alcohol and doesn't have a licence, then that's his problem if he gets caught not mine or any other tourists. I consider it a very fair question to ask. I would also ask, do you actually know PERSONALLY of every bar/restaurant in the Luxor/Karnak area that holds a licence, if not, can you say that is the update list? I only ask because the bar/restaurant in Karnak in mentioned, was openly selling beer and that was a BIG bar/restaurant, so they are taking a very big gamble (especially as it was on a major road)by the temple entrance and is NOT on that list.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deans

Bob totally agree with your statement and it’s not callous to assume that if you are served a drink the legalities are not your problem, although they could be;

From FCO travel advice:

"Drinking in the street and anywhere other than a licensed restaurant or bar is not allowed and can lead to arrest".

Yes I do know, as a licensee it’s easy to find out, I checked before making the listing.

As many regular contributors to these forums are aware of the possible misuse of the site, what was originally an innocent question could be misunderstood and lead to possible problems for those concerned.

I was merely trying to point out the listing I had made and if someone else happened to fetch you a drink it might be wise to keep it to yourself if you are a regular visitor to that establishment and the reasons not to post it on here sorry I just didn't word it correctly to start with.

R