We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nile cruises

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
nile cruises

Just want some info on current tourist occupancy rates on Nile cruise boats.Looking for advice from anyone who has just been on one or has just recently returned from one.I've never been on Nile cruise before,have always spent the full two weeks in Luxor and did my own thing!However,I'm now seriously considering this as an option,as I think I'd prefer the security of the boat and the more "controlled"environment in these uncertain times.Not really looking for itineraries of the cruises available, just want to know if the cruise ships have been impacted as much by the lack of tourists as the hotels in Luxor(last visited October 2011)Would still like to enjoy the weather,history and culture of Egypt,but don't want to be "floating"down the Nile on my own.All replies would be very much appreciated.Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nile cruises

Christine,

Surely on your recent trip to Luxor you would have seen how few cruise boats were sailing and how many were moored in Luxor and did not move.

I was also in Luxor in October 2011 and just as with hotel occupancy, cruise passenger numbers appeared well down from that in previous years.

We actually only saw about a dozen cruise boats on the move during our whole stay there and those that were sailing looked virtually empty.

When you consider that there are around 300 operational Nile cruise boats, then that shows how few people are booking cruises now as compared with in previous times.

I think there was a post put on this forum in the last few days where the poster reports that there were only FOUR people aboard a fully crewed cruise boat.

I think that just about says it all, although tourist numbers on the whole are rumoured to be slightly 'improving', but this might be just a bit of positive 'spin' !

Edited: 07 January 2012, 00:44
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nile cruises

Thanks for your reply KV. Was hoping it would be a bit more optimistic,but was also there in April and witnessed the effects of the "ash cloud"on the Nile cruise boats whilst sitting on balcony of room in "El Luxor"hotel.I hope you appreciate my concerns,have been visiting Luxor now twice yearly for last ten years. Was just hoping and wishing..........Kind Regards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nile cruises

Well, coincidentally enough, I was also in Luxor AND in the El Luxor in April too, LoL !

What DOES seem to be happening these days, is that due to the low passenger numbers, many who DO book a cruise on a particular boat, end up not being on that boat, but are put on another boat (often not with their approval or of their choosing) to make up its numbers.

This may sometimes be an advantage, as you may end up on a 'better' boat than that which you originally booked, or equally, you stand a chance of ending up on an inferior boat to that which may have originally booked, and as a regular visitor you are no doubt aware, that quite often Egyptian operators are not fantastically good at always informing you of this situation in advance, so it might just be something to be aware of.

I done a 3 night cruise in April, that I think was improved by the fact of there being fewer boats sailing.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nile cruises

Oh, noo-ooo, KV! I spent a lot of time researching just the right dahabiya and have booked it; I hope I don't "upgraded" to one with blaring TVs and a bar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nile cruises

I think dahabiyas, due to their much lower passenger numbers, are a different matter and do not suffer from the 'passenger shuffling' operated sometimes by the larger cruise vessels.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nile cruises

OK, whew!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nile cruises

If you look at the recent posts about the MS Serenade you might get more info.

I am booked to sail on that boat at the end of January. Another poster, Tracy has recently been on it and is going again in a week, and she has said that it was quite busy.

I am concerned about being 'bumped' on to another boat, but she thinks not. Also, my booking form clearly says that if I get moved it will be the same quality or better.

However, it might SAY that but not necessarily turn out that way!!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that, whatever boat I end up on, that it's clean and the food's OK.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nile cruises

Rowz

The last 2 times I have booked a cruise I was "bumped" onto other boats namely the SS Misr and MS Darakum which are 2 of the best boats on the river and far superior to ones I had originally booked. I do think you will be very unlucky indeed if you are downgraded.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nile cruises

Thanks for all replies.Have never been on Nile Cruise before,so have no idea about the standard of the boats. Have always just tended to stay in the 3star hotels in Luxor and been happy with their food and hygiene standards (I'm pretty easy going!)Unfortunately,the lack of tourists in the hotels concerns me a wee bit now,especially with the way things are in Egypt,have always felt a bit more secure when there were more tourists,like myself,pottering about.Will now consider the cruise option.Can anyone advise me as to the professionalism of the staff on the boats,i.e. sometimes find waiters in hotels and restaurants a wee bit OTT!Are they the same on the boats or is a different protocol followed?Sorry if this seems a stupid question,but just want a relaxing holiday with minimum hassle.Regards.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nile cruises

On the 3 cruises I have been on ive never experienced any OTT behaviour from the staff. But then I travel as a single male, You do get certain members of staff making a fuss over you and adopting you at meal times etc but nothing untoward, They could be possibly be expecting an extra tip at the end of the cruise .