We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, England
Level Contributor
97 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Hi everyone

My husband and I have just booked a 7 night Nile cruise (my 2nd, my husbands 1st) to celebrate out 5th wedding anniversary this coming May and we're in a little confusion regarding which ship we'll be on. The Thomson website states 'Jaz Regency or similar' but I have seen conflicting reports that say this ship has been replaced with the Jaz Minerva (which looks better to be quite honest). Does anyone know for sure which ship will be on the Nile with as the Thomson 5T this year? If not, do Thpmson always use the Jaz brand of boats?

We'd also like to enquire about getting our twin beds made into a double/king onboard if possible-I don't fancy the idea of my husband and I spending our 'romantic' anniversary sleeping in separate beds-does anyone have a contact at Jaz (if these are the boats that Thomson are using for 5T) so that I an arrange this ahead of our stay?

Any help is appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Thomson 'may' be just covering themselves in their wording in your literature or itinerary, as it 'may' be the case (as I have experienced in the past) that Thomson themselves cannot guarantee which boat you will eventually end up on, the reason being that Thomson, as with any of the other holiday companies, do not own any of the cruise boats, but merely lease them, or 'buy up' cabin space to sell on to you.

If the boat owners take the boat out of service for any reason and these days low passenger numbers on a particular vessel seems to be a more common reason that a boat will not sail, then various passengers will be allocated a different vessel and it could be the case that Thomson, or anyone else, have very little say in the matter.

I have had the experience before that the boat allocated was changed as we were travelling to it from the airport, although this is not necessarily something to be too worried about unless the whole reason for booking a cruise is that you wanted to cruise on a particular boat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Forgot to say, that to ensure you get a double bed, you may well have to upgrade to a 'Superior' cabin, or similar :-)

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Had a similar experience on another boat. Wanted a double and got twins so asked boat manager who arranged for the crew to push them together and change bedding so we had a double. Crew seemed to find the whole thing quite amusing.

Doncaster, England
Level Contributor
97 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Thanks for your help everyone

Norwich
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Hi Pink,

The Minerva was used in the summer of 2010 when the Regency was off the water, right now the Regency is on the water, from what I'm told the passenger numbers are slowly improving, although not as good as this time last year.

I have been on the Regency many times, if you want any info feel free to pm me.

Cheers

Bron

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

I've just got back from a week on the Jaz Regency through Thomson and we had a terrific time, the boat and staff absolutely superb.

We had a double, actually two single mattresses pushed together which made a huge bed. You could always email Thomson and make the request, it should be passed on to the resort rep, or email office.cruises@travco.com whom I'm sure will be able to help you direct if you give them the dates.

I believe we were told that Travco are part of the Tui group so you would get one of the Jaz boats, Regency being their 5 star but, as KV-explorer says, they just hedge their bets if another boat has to be substituted.

Doncaster, England
Level Contributor
97 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Brilliant-thanks everyone for your help. Its good to know that we're likely to be on the Regency (although I liked the juliet balcony style windows on the Minerva) and that the beds are huge! I shall certainly email ahead of our cruise to request that the beds are together-thanks for this Mwingereza!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Pink,

Your request(s) would be greatly helped along if you made sure you said that you were actually on the cruise to celibrate your wedding anniversary when emailing and will definitely mean you get a few little complimentary 'extras' and even possibly a 'free' upgrade

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Pink, Could you let us now how you got on as I plan to book for October using Thomson. Any info would be great, Enjoy your holiday.

Doncaster, England
Level Contributor
97 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5T Thomson Nile cruise-which boat?

Sure no problem Lager21-could you pm me in early June as a reminder please? I've been on the Raa 2 with Thomas Cook Signature as a work related educational trip in August 2003 and I can vouch for it as it was superb, however Thomson are much more affordable (not that I paid the first time round) I just hope that the tour guides are as informative!