We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

Hi, Not sure if this has been posted before but it seems that both Monarch and Easy Jet have cancelled their Monday flights from Luxor from the 30th April.

I spoke to someone at AVRO yesterday and he said that flights had been taken off sale pending a final decision but due to the route not being profitable in the current climate it was very likely that this would be the case.

If this does happen its going to be a real problem for the UK Nile Cruise market with the vast majority relying on clients arriving on the Monday flights

thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

It's not good news, but I'm sure that given how many boats there are on the Nile and how few guests at the moment that the Cruise market will be able to adapt to this.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

No, not good news at all - I couldn't seem to get a Monarch flight showing from Manchester after April either, does anyone know if that flight has been cancelled too?

AFAIK Easyjet only do the Monday Gatwick to Luxor route in winter months only so perhaps that's why there are no Monday flights after 30th April. Hopefully they will re-commence at the end of October / beginning of November again.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 10:54
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

In the 15 years that we've been travelling from England to Luxor; there have always been more flights on a Wednesday than on a Monday. I would have thought that a travel agent (ATP Travel Ltd) would have known that, and not come on here with such scaremongering comments.

Regards,

Edward.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 12:23
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

Actually there used to be more flights on a Monday at one time before all the mergers, bankruptcies etc etc. Monarch had 2 each from Gatwick and Manchester, First Choice, Egyptair, Excel, Airtours JMC iirc I once counted 15 flights into Luxor from the UK on Mondays.

Cosmos are not selling any holidays to Luxor from May to November but have Gatwick and the return of Manchester on sale from November.

easyJet stop on Mondays to Luxor from May and No flights at all during July and August.

Under normal conditions and even now cruise boats sail from Luxor just about everyday of the week as they all have different companies using them that have flights arriving on different days of the week. The flights from Germany arrive on Thursdays.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

I had a little browse recently and found none of the massively discounted packages there used to be. Not surprising, but I was sad just the same.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

We have a booking with Cosmos/Monarch to fly from Manchester in September!!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

I have a flight with Monarch booked 7th May from Manchester to Luxor. Due to pay holiday balance this weekend. Will make enquiries and keep you posted.

England
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

I think the ourluxorflat comment is a little unfair. The cancellation of flights is fact, not scaremongering, and very useful for those of us who like to book flights to Luxor three / four times a year. Thanks PhilPhil64 for the heads up on this.

Manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

I was looking to book a Monday flight in September and Avro did not have the option to fly from Manchester to Luxor and Travel Republic only listed the Wednesday flight.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monday Flights to Luxor from Gatwick cancelled

Sorry to all for not being clear enough.

I think that the last paragraph...."If this does happen its going to be a real problem for the UK Nile Cruise market with the vast majority relying on clients arriving on the Monday flights".... was unneccesary, and incorrect.

Apparently I was mistaken over the number of UK Monday flights in previous years. Apologies for that too.

Regards,

Edward.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor