We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Topic
Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

We've heard it rumoured many times in recent years, so could it finally be about to happen . . . ?

chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/…content_14573702.htm

Clevedon, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

That would be wonderful......i always wished they would do this.

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Its not going to happen soon. There are no berths for the boats that would be suitable for the cruise boats to overnight, security will be a big issue at the overnight stops, and the river in places is still not fully navigatable (SP) except by the very experienced captains who used to do the full river. Taking boats to Cairo for refit etc is one thing, but a boat full of tourists is quite another.

And those tourism figures from the Ministry of Tourism are pure statistics manipulated to show what they want to say.

But, inshallah, one day we WILL be cruising Cairo to Aswan!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Yes it would be great to have that opportunity again. I did it way back in 1991 and its really spectacular when you cruise up into Cairo. When, exactly, did they stop doing it ?.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 10:27
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Whilst the idea of a cruise from Luxor to Aswan doesn't really interest me that much, this cruise would be something I wouldn't rule out doing.

SWmuse what boat did you go on and how long did the cruise take? you said it went from Luxor to Cairo did it also go other way around, I would like to go from Luxor to Cairo and spend a couple of days in Cairo. Did you get to do any trips on that cruise, as we know the trips on the Aswan cruise?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

It's a cruise we would love to do ourselves

SWmuse - I know it's a long time ago and if you're like me you may not remember your 1st cruise, but can you remember any details?

Boat? Company? Stops and sites?

I'm fortunate, my plane-spotting database tells me I was in Cairo on 24th Aug 1992 which was 1/2 way through the holiday after the cruise, I know it was Hayes & Jarvis, but unless I took a photo of the boat, I have no idea which and the stops/sites are well jumbled in my memory.

We did Luxor-Aswan and back, so I presume Cairo-Luxor wasn't available then else we would have done it instead.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Bob62 - Snap!!

I was going to write SNAP but TA won't let me!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

bob62, eLaReF - I know your questions were not directed at me, but I did the Aswan - Cairo cruise in September, 1991 and, while I am not claiming to have total recall, my memories may help SWmuse to recollect details.

Travelled with Kuoni on the King Tut (from their 3* brochure) which carried about 96 passengers. It was full.

First night was spent at an airport hotel, Cairo, then a dawn flight to Aswan and transfer to the king Tut.

Aswan to Luxor - usual sites at Aswan and en route - Kom Ombo, Edfu, Esna. Cannot remember what was included from Luxor (probably the usual!) as we tended to leave the group to do our own thing.

Dendera, Abydos, Tell el Amarna (overnight stop for early start to the site), Tuna el Gebel, Hermopolis, Beni Hassan (overnight stop then morning visit to the tombs - a young woman fainted at the top of the steps).

One whole day of sailing with no sites to visit.

At Cairo, transfer to hotel. Optional excursions offered.

(Another boat - the Seti I - was doing the same run at the same time but ran aground somewhere along the stretch after Beni Hassan.)

I think that the cruise took 10 days - or possibly 10 nights, the other 3 + 1 being in Cairo hotels. Sorry I cannot be more exact.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 14:22
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Luxor to Cairo would be a very nice trip to do. My wife and I would do it in a minute if it was possible.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

It was on the Nile Plaza one of the Presidential fleet. Went Aswan to Cairo over 10 nights. Stopped at Edfu, Esna, Kom Ombo, Aswan, Tel El Amarna, Beni Hassan, Luxor etc. If I can dig out my journal I will post fuller details.

I recall that the boat was virtually deserted as I think the Gulf War was having an impact on tourist numbers. There were 9 in my group and a Dutch guy and another small German group but they only cruised (I think) between Aswan and Luxor.

I went with Kuoni. I recall good food, a nice boat and a fabulous experience.

Chester
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo to Luxor cruising to restart soon ?

Went on a Cairo to Aswan cruise back in 1983 (4-20 May) with Swan Hellenic. The boat was the Nile Star and we visted Giza, Saqqara, Meidum, Beni Hassan, El Ashmunien, Tuna el Gebel, Abydos, Dendera, Luxor, Esna, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Aswan (Philae) and Abu Simbel. Dr Angela Milward was our guest lecturer and it was a truely outstanding experience.