We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

Hi. We have one full day in Luxor, and want to do both the Valley of Kings and Temple of Karnak. I assume we should use a tour company to maximize our time?

Is there a better place to see during the morning time, or afternoon? I am really into photography, so I'd prefer to be there at the best time to take photos. I have read that you can't take photos in the Valley of the Kings, so I suppose is there a better time of day for photos at Karnak? We'll be there on Sunday, April 8 if that helps.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

Depending on your level of interest, and your stamina, you can do a lot more than that in a whole day.

The Temples at Karnak and Luxor are both open in the evenings. Karnak has its lovely 'Sound and Light Show', in several languages each evening while Luxor Temple is illuminated from sunset till 9pm; it's beautiful!

You would then have the whole of the day light hours to explore the West Bank. You'll be surprised just how much you can cram in if you try.

Best wishes,

Edward.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

Agree with #1. You can't take any photos at VoK. You'll have to leave your camera with your taxi driver or on the bus. Do your homework when going there. There are so many tombs that you want to pick the one you want to first and pick other choices in case they are closed. While you're on the west bank, check the other places out. So I would do the west bank in the morning to mid afternoon and to Karnak and luxor since they close the latest. When taking pictures at night in Luxor, take the flash off. You'll be surprised how much sand kicks up at night.

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

I recently did the Valley of the Kings, Medinet Habu and the Colossi in the morning. Had a nice lunch by the river before heading East and seeing Karnak Temple...... finishing up at the airport at 5pm.

All very do-able without rushing too much.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

I visited Karnak in October last year in the afternoon and stayed until the sun was setting - I found that was fantastic for taking photos.

Luxor Temple is so magical just as the sun is setting and the lights come on to illuminate it.

This is a link to my photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/marlscat

Two other DEs use the same website - here is the link to their photos too:

community.webshots.com/user/Suziesuze3010

http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref

Just scroll through the albums till you get to the one you want to view. They will hopefully give you an idea of what you can see.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

Yes ..... Valley of the Kings and your choice of other sites on the West Bank in the morning then Karnak temple in the afternoon - very do-able. Don't forget to visit the open-air museum at Karnak (entry extra - but you may well be the only visitor) - it is over to the left, off the axis of the main temple. The late afternoon sun puts a warm, golden light on the stone and the reliefs show up well.

It is not necessary to use a tour company - a car with driver and guide book is adequate for the West Bank sites; a taxi to and from the temple plus a guide book will be fine for Karnak. A tour company would probably maximize time spent on shopping opportunities (alabaster, papyrus and sundry souvenirs).

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

hi there , as usual for one day we start tour by visiting west bank which contain valley of the kings , valley of nobles , hatshepsute temple ........, in the morning , after lunch you'll have enough time to visit karnak temple .

for photo you can take any photo any time but not inside the tombs in vok or nobles tombs or voq

i hope you enjoy your time

if you need help , don't hesitate to contact me

7. Re: Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings in same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:16