We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

IW
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

I arranged a walk with Debbie of Egyptiandreams to do a walk from the Valley of the Kings to Deir el Medina. Unfortunately this proved to be impossible, I have no idea why. When we found out that I could not do the walk Debbie really pulled out all the stops. She made enquiries and getting no relevant reply, immediately contacted me to give me the news. Working at the speed of light, or so it seemed she rearranged my plans, giving me a choice of alternative trips. Once these were settled a pickup time was arranged from the front of the hotel. All within an hour of the news of the problem with the walk.

Next day a shining Toyota arrived, dead on time and I was whisked away to the first of the sites that I had chosen. I was on my own and felt like a real VIP with my own driver and guide. They were excellent, allowing me all the time I wanted to ferret about in the sites I had chosen, giving me all the information I could take in, and then off to the next location.

So, the disappointment of not being able to do the walk was soon forgotten and I'll never forget sitting in Luxor with Debbie drinking mint tea and trying to make sense of all that I had seen and heard.

Thanks for making what could have been such a let down something I'll always remember

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

With its “shining” transport and “light speed” travel arrangements, could this post turn out to be a top contender for this year’s subtle advertising award?

Edited: 24 February 2012, 18:13
UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

I was walking the hills only last week....... no problems then. Do you know why you could not take the walk? I have friends here at the moment, who are planning to go tomorrow. I will let you know if they have any problems. Will be seeing them tomorrow night.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

BB - Subtle?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

My thoughts exactly BB

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

lol, I think BB nailed it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

If this 'super fantastic' tour arranging company, with their 'shining Toyota' cannot even manage to arrange a simple walk in the Theban hills (which I do extensively almost daily when in Luxor) then they are NOT the wonderful company that you portray them to be nematoad and are in fact pretty useless IMO.

They should also be aware that it IS forbidden to start your walk in the VoK to go to Deir el Medina and it is very likely that you WILL be stopped should you try this, but, taking the right route, there should be no problems doing it the other way around.

I would suggest that you perhaps not judge a tour company by how 'shiny' their Toyotas might be in future and actually get one that knows what they are doing before you place your next advert.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 11:57
IW
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

To make things perfectly clear I have no interest either financially or otherwise in the business. I was a new customer and had never met Debbie before we sorted out the trip. I am solely responsible for any remarks made.

I have told it as I saw it , nothing more nothing less.

It is of course up to anyone to use the agent of their choice, I found the service that I received such that I felt that others might benefit from my experience.

After the disappointment of not being able to do the walk, the quick change of plans and the choice of alternatives was to my mind, well handled. I also got a refund.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

If, as KV says, “a walk from the Valley of the Kings to Deir el Medina” is not allowed, I would have thought that any competent tour company would/should have known this.

Alternatively, perhaps the Theban Hills were closed that day for cleaning and essential repairs.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 13:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

As you say, it is up to everyone to use the agent of their choice and you seem to have been happy with what the one you used provided, which is fine, but I am struggling to understand the reasoning behind your glowing recommendation, as from what you write, this agent efficiently succeeded in providing you with services you DIDN'T originally want, when what you DID want them to arrange for you (your Theban hills walk) is relatively easy for anyone to arrange, or just do yourself.

That is like recommending a cigarette shop, which you went into to buy some cigarettes, but the cigarette shop failed to provide you with the cigarettes you wanted, but quickly and efficiently sold you a tin of shoe polish.

They wouldn't really deserve a recommendation IMO, but perhaps that's just me ?

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A short walk in the Theban hills, or not.

Just for information, my friends successfully walked the mountain today... Workers to VOK (not the other way round, as they do try to stop you if you leave from VOK). Its just irritating to arrive in VOK and then have to wander all the way to the visitor centre for tickets to see the tombs.

But a good tour operator should have already provided the tickets for you before you leave VOW

Get answers to your questions about Luxor