We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wallasey,merseyside
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

hi, I'm going to luxor with my wife in september, this time being joined by another couple. we're all staying at the nile palace after our cruise..as they are only b/b at the hotel, does anyone know of any reasonable bars/restaurants nearby ? I've heard that the kings head is only over the road from the nile palace, so thats one place to take them for a meal/drink, any other good recommendations ? it'll be easier if we know where to go now than struggle looking around for somewhere when we get there. cheap & cheerful is ok, as long as the food is good !! does not have to be english despite the headline ! also any menu price guide appreciated, dont mind travelling a bit further if its worthwhile, thanks all..........scorpio9

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

There's a pretty comprehensive map of restaurants, bars and hotels, at the southern end of Luxor (an area that's frequently referred to as "Little Britain") which can be found here:

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/southluxor.htm

Although The King's Head isn't shown, It can be found, down a bit of a "shopping arcade" type walk way, upstairs, in pretty much the same area as Dean's. There is actually a sign post, mounted on a street lamp, indicating the exact entrance to the walk way. From plenty of personal experience, this pub serves quite decent food, at reasonable prices (LE 100 - 160 for an entire evening of local lager and 2 course dinner, last time I was there, in September 2010). Stella beer was about half the price, for a larger bottle, than in most hotel bars; and at the time they had a buy 1 - get 1 free, "Happy Hour", from 1900 - 2000 each evening.

Murphys and Jewel of the Nile have also received good reviews, but other restaurant reviews can be found here:

luxortraveltips.com/eating/restaurantovervie…

Trip Advisor reviews can also be quite a good source of information on venues not covered above.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g294205-Luxor_…

For the central area, around Luxor Temple and the Railway Station, see here:

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/centralluxor.htm

Sofra, near the station, has received generally good reviews, and Snack Time, near the Temple, is said to be a great place for fast food type meals.

There are also some bars and restaurants in Karnak village, that have also received good TA reviews, but you may consider these to be a little too far to travel.

Hope the links and maps prove useful.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

My favourites (in no particular order) are Puddleduck, The Lantern, Taste of India and Deans which you'll see marked on the maps mentioned above. Puddleduck and The Lantern serve some Egyptian as well as European food. Taste of India has an extensive menu that includes European as well as Indian but I can't remember if it has Egyptian dishes. Deans is mainly European.

There's lots and lots of choice within walking distance of your hotel.

Also, have a look at the Top Questions for Luxor written in blue down the right hand side of the forum page as there is lots of useful information there - there's a specific topic there on "Food & Drink (including list of restaurants which have a license to sell alcohol)"

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

You said, "non-English" too :) so, 'La Mamma' Restaurant at The Sheraton is worth a visit. The food is as authentically Italian as you will find in Luxor but it is great value and well made. I like the atmosphere - not formal or stuffy but with decent standards. Sometimes there is music too.I have been there many times, with many people, and no one has ever had a complaint.

The so-called 'English' restaurants in Luxor, I can't say I am a fan of, having tried several, when friends and family wish to, over the years. Puddleducks, my friends liked greatly but I found the food to be mediocre, disliked the decor and found the chairs to be very uncomfortable.

The Sheraton also has an Indian restaurant, which was OK.

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

My favourite is Snobs in the side street opposite your hotel. I found ambience, service and food excellent. Also had decent meals in Dean's Bistro, but it was off-putting when the owner lights up his cigarette fairly close to your table. I was in the King's Head in March last year and found it a bit sleezy. We had intended having some food, but decided against as the place didn't look very clean. May have changed since then.Puddleduck, Lantern and Jewel of the Nile get consistently good reviews. Good Luck

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

hiya scorpio how u duin ?, when are you going to the nile palace ? iv stayed b4 there and going again in june,

my fave places to eat are the lantern, taste of india , and the fortune cookie which is a great chinese, and above the fortune cookie they have opened up a new thai place called the king and thai !!

the road with most of the eating places are only across the road from the nile palace so not far to walk , and less hassles !!

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

As a restaurant owner here in Luxor I wish to point out that Luxor travel tips site is an informative site and has a lot of useful information on Luxor, however if you read the restaurant reviews please be aware these are the shared personal and "unbiased" views of 2 people who visit Luxor a couple of times a year.

For up to date reviews of the restaurants read the review section on Trip Advisor for “Reviews you can trust” good or possibly bad which however also features the option for owners to respond.

R

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

I don't readily trust reviews online, not without a lot of reading between the lines and research. Even personal reviews can be tricky, as our dearest friends may love (or value) things we dislike.

Ras2 - Please would you explain this further, as the meaning is unclear to me:

"As a restaurant owner here in Luxor I wish to point out that Luxor travel tips site is an informative site and has a lot of useful information on Luxor, however if you read the restaurant reviews please be aware these are the shared personal and "unbiased" views of 2 people who visit Luxor a couple of times a year."

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

There is nothing to explain as you say you can read the reviews and make your choices.

Reviews on TA are hopefully written by a broad section of travelers and possibly more up to date, those on the other site are not I am just pointing that out.

R

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

The fact is that all reviews are subjective. It's just that on luxortraveltips.com they are only the subjective views of two people, whereas on TA they are the subjective views of hundreds, if not thousands, of people.

I know a man who loves bacon and beetroot sandwiches, but I couldn't recommend them!

luxortraveltips.com is often mentioned on here as a cracking source of info, because it is. But reviews are just reviews, (and not unbiased information) wherever you might find them. At some point you just have to taste and see for yourself!

Good luck,

Edward.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: english bars/restaurants near nile palace in luxor ?

AswanFans

Why just online? As Edward just said, all reviews are written by someone (friend, foe or total stranger) who may like what we dislike and vice versa. Unfortunately, where TA’s reviews are concerned, more does not mean better. On the contrary, once you cancel out the overly enthusiastic with the unnecessarily negative I suspect you come out with a balance not dissimilar to what you find on Luxor Travel Tips.

scorpio9

Having said all that, if you want a good meal (English- or Egyptian-themed) meal at a very pleasant restaurant with a full bar, reasonable prices and excellent (not to mention genuine) hospitality, it is IMO extremely hard to beat the Pub 2000.