We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the side of the dead

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
On the side of the dead

After many times spent either cruising the Nile or staying in one of the big hotels on the East bank mum and I decided it was time to venture over to the side of the dead and booked 2 weeks at the El Mesala Hotel to find out if 'west really is best'

All I can say is so far so good.

Our room is very comfy, we have two balconies - a large one with table and chairs and views over to the Nile and Luxor Temple, the other a smaller one where we can see the Nile and street below. We ate on the roof terrace last night and the food is delicious, breakfast (also taken on the roof terrace) comprises of fruit, yoghurt, bread, cheese, jam, an omelette, tea or coffee - more than enough to fill you for a day exploring.

Deciding to 'take it easy' on our first day we were up at 7am and after breakfast walking along the banks of the Nile and villages for around 2 hours it was bliss, not one bit of hassle either, just lots of friendly 'lovely mornings' from people we met along the way.

Hope to start tomorrow the same way but perhaps walking up to Memnon and back again.

Have plenty photos to upload to my webshots already, unfortunately my netbook is broke so I'll have to wait till I get home in 2 weeks time!!

Time for a wee dip in the pool!

Suzie :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On the side of the dead

Sounds fantastic Suzie. Will look forward to reading more updates when you can tear yourself away from your exploring adventures. Can't wait to see the photos!!

Unfortunately the only 'dipping' I'll be doing today will be the Digestive in my coffee!! :o)

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: On the side of the dead

Was the decision where to take breakfast the hardest of the day so far?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On the side of the dead

wish i was there either west or east bank,,,sounds a lovely hotel may stay over the dead side next time

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: On the side of the dead

I love the west bank...I feel very tranquil there and closest to what ancient Egypt must have felt like...I especially love hearing the donkeys braying at sunrise

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On the side of the dead

Sounds wonderful Suzie, can't wait for the piccys!

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On the side of the dead

Great report, Suzie.... the simplicity of Egyptian food, I love. It all sounds so wholesome and fresh and inviting.

Level Contributor
312 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On the side of the dead

Sounds fantastic Suzie. Hotel sounds lovely, in fact very much the type of hotel I'd usually book. Will make a note of that for 'next time' lol (& I've not even been yet).

Your walks sound lovely & relaxing. How far is it to walk to Memnon? I quite fancy spending a day exploring the west bank without VOK etc which we'll do another day. Enjoy the rest of your trip :)

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: On the side of the dead

Hi Suzie, make sure to do a full trip report when you get back, with photos, also perhaps review the hotel. I stayed on the West bank once and we had an apartment with two balconies it was excellent and there is lots less hassle.

I would not mind staying over that side again but perhaps in a slightly quieter village than Ramla. Would also hire a bike for the week as i love cycling on the west bank, is this something you are going to try?

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On the side of the dead

Annie, it's around 1.5 miles to walk from the ferry up to the colossi of Memnon. Medinet habu temple and the Ramesseum are a little further on. Have you considered bike hire as suggested by setihay above?

I wouldn't mind hiring a bike but I don't think its such a good idea for mum, she says it's been over 50 years since she was on a bike lol!!

I'll be continuing my travel blog on my return (no netbook with me this time - using iPhone) and uploading photos to there and my webshots account.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 11:42
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On the side of the dead

This hotel sounds like just what I'm looking for! I have never heard of it before but having read this, Suzie, I have just spent time researching it and it looks really good.

Would you be able to find out what a single room is like or would it be better to book a double for use by one person?

Many thanks