We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Reposting of

Ms Serenade – Death on the Nile?

For those who missed it the first time round I am re posting this information due to numerous requests from regular posters. This time I have added some links to other posts to support my comments.

On arrival, the boat seemed fine. It was well presented, the cabins were spacious and clean, although the beds and pillows were quite hard. I had booked an upper deck cabin without excursions, as I had my own itinerary.

The first day passed without incident. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the food, as the choice was poor and it wasn’t very hot. After going to bed on the second night I became ill at 4am. I knew straight away that it was not a ‘normal’ holiday gippy tummy. I have travelled to Egypt and around the world and never experienced anything as severe as this. I contacted reception to advise them of my condition and they were clearly not interested, despite knowing that I was travelling alone. I wasn’t offered any help. I was also told that I was the only person ill. I later found out that this was a lie. Fortunately, I had brought Antinal with me and started taking them.

I contacted reception at midday as I thought I was dying, and this is not an exaggeration. I later found out that others were ill and some had fallen ill when out on the excursion. Reception staff said that there were only a few people ill – another lie as by this time at least 20 people were really ill. The boat then sailed and so I basically spent the rest of that day and the next unable to move from the cabin.

Apparently at one meal there were only 6 out of 100 people eating, all of the remainder were ill.

I later found out that reception were dishing out free Antinal, even though I wasn’t offered it. Also, the crew were affected by the illness. The whole topic of conversation was the illness, and suggestions as to what had been the cause. We couldn’t pin it down as we had all eaten different things.

When containers of food were nearly empty, instead of replacing them with a fresh one, they were just topped up. This meant that hot food was being placed on top of warm food, including rice, which I never ate. This makes a breeding ground for germs.

After two days of self-medication I began to recover, although I was very weak. I refused to eat any food that had been touched so I lived on hot soup, bananas and cold boiled eggs, which I had kept from breakfast.

As I recovered I just spent time on the sundeck resting and listening to what people were saying. It was very sad, as the majority were first timers and would never be returning to Egypt due to their poor experience.

What made the whole episode worse was the fact that the boat manager clearly couldn’t care less. I could have died in my cabin and no one would have known until the steward came in to clean it. In fact, the whole thing was totally ignored, as though it hadn’t happened. This is what made people very angry, the lack of concern, particularly as the country is on the road to recovery regarding tourism. This was definitely a step backward as those people were going home to tell their friends of their bad experience. Not a good advert for Egypt or Nile cruises!

The Serenade is run by You Hotels and I have contacted them about the health risks to passengers on this boat. If so many people had fallen ill at the same time in the UK, the health inspectors would have been called in and the boat closed down. As it was, the boat manager just ignored it, reception staff denied the number of people sick, whilst distributing masses of Antinal.

This is a boat to avoid at all costs!

Since I appear to have to PROVE what I say is true, please just check out these links to other posts on the same subject.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…37539477

Post 10. This post is from when I arrived back in Luxor, to warn others about people getting ill on the boat.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k4…

This is the thread where a certain poster was sympathetic -post 17

Post 18 from Margaret D is where four other passengers on the boat supported my comments, as they were sick too.

Post 19 is apparent acceptance of my and Margaret D’s comments

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k4…

This thread is other people’s comments about the boat.

Post 39 also mentions sickness last December.

Post 41 voices concerns about food and sickness.

Post 59 also mentions people getting sick and blaming the food.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39479171

Post, 62 which proves that nothing has been done to rectify this unacceptable situation on the MS Serenade.

And finally,

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k5…

Main thread – clearly absolutely nothing has been done about this dreadful boat.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Thank you Rowz

Very interesting and very factual

A boat definetly worth avoiding.

scotland
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

It's important that information such as this is available, in order that we can make informed choices.

Glad you put it back up, hopefully it will stay this time.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

definatley a post which should be left on here !!

the condition of the guests on board should of been a priority for the captain and more should of been done for the sick, just shows money is more inportant !!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Wow Rowz, you put a lot of effort into that:) I knew about your experience but had missed all the other complaints so thanks for the links.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Thanks for that.

The effort was needed to show that I am making an honest review of this boat. Others can now see that there is an ongoing and very serious problem with the amount of people getting sick on cruise after cruise on the Serenade.

Clearly nothing is being done about it, so I hope that this information can be of use to people using TA to plan their future Nile cruises, which has only ever been my intention.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Judging by other posts on here people are still planning to go on the boat. Perhaps they haven't read your review yet.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

Is The MS Seranade the same as The Seranade? We sailed on The Seranade when it was brand new. That was many years ago. We loved it. This thread shows the importance of reading recent reviews - and a wide selection. There are now many grander and more luxurious ships on The Nile to choose from.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

I have no idea if it had any other similar names.

I did note though that it had the word 'New' added to its name on the side of the boat and that it is spelled 'Serenade' not Seranade.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

There appears to be two boats (so far) with the name ' Serenade'

The M/S Serenade

And

The M/S Royal Serenade (believe Thomas Cook used it in the past)

Google image search brings up pictures of two very different boats.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MS Serenade - presenting the evidence

The Serenade is the correct spelling, so my question should have been- Is The MS Serenade the same as The Serenade? :)

Thanks, Suzie - I have googled the two and it seems like we sailed on The (MS) Serenade with the wine colour on the side. As I said before, it was brand new when we sailed on it and absolutely fine. That was a long time ago and illustrates how important a range of reviews is. Recent reviews, are especially helpful. Rowz, I suspect it may have been refurbished, explaining the word 'new'.

One thing that strikes me is that our meals were mostly silver service, straight from the kitchen and hot. Buffets were served all the time. I agree that buffet food can be very dangerous, as the heating can be problematic.

I welcome all honest reviews on this forum - good and bad. This serves travellers best.