We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

womens clothing

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
womens clothing

when visiting the tombs what is the appropriate clothing for women

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: womens clothing

Hi Paul

You will get some funny looks and some funnier offers what ever style of women s clothing you decide to wear!

On a serious note take a look at clothing section in "Top Questions about Luxor" to the right hand side of this page.

R

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: womens clothing

From my own experience I have worn long sleeve or 3/4 sleeved light weight cotton tops (loose fitting). 3/4 or ankle length trousers, pair of converse (comfy and quite sturdy), sun hat and always carry a small scarf just in case I am required to cover my hair. Wearing trousers is easier for climbing up and down stairs etc! Or ducking down to squeeze into smaller spaces.

Hope this helps :o)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: womens clothing

The more conservatively you dress the less hassle ..More flesh more hassle..you will still get rude and suggestive remarks whatever is worn

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: womens clothing

I suggested in another post that you should look through the top questions written in blue down the right hand side of this forum page, and that advice still stands as many, if not all of your questions, will be answered there.

In the meantime, here is the link to the dress codes article which can be found there

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20276-Dress_Co…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: womens clothing

The more flesh that is covered, the less is vulnerable to the ravages of sunburn (some people suffer allergic reactions to sun protection lotions), insect bites, scratches, scrapes and prickly plants.

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: womens clothing

Foortwear is also an important consideration. I now wear a kind of trainer-sandal where the toes are covered but there are gaps in the sides for coolness. Very lightweight and comfortable. Have a great time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: womens clothing

When I was there I just wore a polo shirt, cotton trousers, sneakers and a panama hat. I was there in march and when we first got to the valley I definately needed my jumper on in the shade. You really do need to wear pants and closed in shoes as is very dusty and some of the tombs involve some steep stairs so you want to be able to move freely and be comfortable.

A couple of general tips for Egypt. I'm in my twenties, blonde, extremely fair and rather buxom. I just kept to the rule of wearing knee length dresses or trousers if I was visiting a mosque and when I was outside of the hotel or our dahabiya I made sure I wasnt wearing anything strappy and I covered my cleavage with a scarf. Whilst I was always the centre of attention and I often got compliments it was never menacing or rude. Really who would mind having the nickname princess Diana? If you're blonde don't be surprised if girls come up to you ask to take a photos with you.

I found that I was treated very well and respectfully, where ever you are if you behave like a lady you will be treated accordingly. For older ladies visiting places like Luxor you may have a slightly different experience if you are travelling alone simply because of how a surprising number of older solo women behave in Luxor.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: womens clothing

I usually wear trainers, full length linen trousers, a loose fitting shirt. I also take a sun hat (I am a pastey English girl!) and a light scarf in case I need to cover hair or cleavage if the blouse buttons lower than I feel appropriate.

As previously said if you behave like a lady you will treated like a lady. I have only ever had compliments where ever I have been.

Enjoy!

9. Re: womens clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2012, 16:05
10. Re: womens clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:40