We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What trips to do ?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What trips to do ?

Am going on a weeks cruise and would appreciate any do or donts for these pre booked excursions

Valley of Kings

Temple of Horus

Temple of Sobek

Felluca trip around Elephant island

Temple of Khnum

Luxor Temple

Karnak

Sound and light show at Karnak (extra £20)

As we are going in June its going to be extreamly hot so I will probally cherry pick what trips I do so knowing the best ones would be very helpfull

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What trips to do ?

Let's start with the Light and Sound at Karnak - if your boat is docked in town rather than further south, it might be a bit cheaper to get a taxi and pay the 100LE admission yourself.

Valley of the Kings - no-brainer IMHO. No cameras allowed anywhere in the site, so leave them on the bus.

Temple of Horus (Edfu) and Temple of Sobek (Kom Ombo) - both well worth a visit, especially Edfu which is very well preserved.

Temple of Khnum - there is quite a lot here, a large site with many ruins which are not as immediately spectacular as some of the previously mentioned, but the location at the southern end of Elephantine Island is beautiful and offers views around a wide area of Aswan and surrounds.

Karnak and Luxor temples are must-see sites in Luxor, and you can visit Luxor Temple in the evening when it is lit up.

Further recommendations will really depend on the depth of your interest, but there is much more to see on Luxor's West Bank.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 19:20
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What trips to do ?

Could we clarify which Temple of Khnum we are referring to because there is the Temple of Khnum at Esna as well ?.

If it is that one then theres not much of it remaining other than a complete hypostyle hall which contains some fine reliefs and ac ceiling depicting astronomical figures and the signs of the zodiac. Esna is, in my opinion, one for the keener visitor than the casual and if I had to miss one temple of my list then it would probably be that one.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What trips to do ?

I agree, Esna could be missed. I have only been there once and found it scruffy and disappointing. Have revisited Kom Ombo several times and love it.

The fellucca trip round Elephantine will be loads of people on one boat, with forced jollity and singing. The boat may well not move under sail and have to be towed. I have watached many of these from various viewpoints in Aswan and they do not look like much fun to me. You would be better off IMO getting your own boat, or doing one of the many other interesting things to do around Aswan. Send me a private message through the site for suggestions.

The excavations and temple of Khnum on Elephantine are extensive and interesting but possibly for the slightly keener visitor.

All the other things are not to be missed

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What trips to do ?

The following can all be visited independently rather than by booking an excursion through the cruise operator:

Temple of Sobek at Kom Ombo - the cruise vessels moor up alongside. There is a line of souvenir stalls at this level, the road and entrance to the temple site are just up the steps.

A felucca trip at Aswan.

Luxor temple.

Karnak temple and Sound and Light show.

Of course, the pre-bookable excursions probably include the services of a guide - which you may, or may not, find essential.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 14:26
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What trips to do ?

Yes sorry, I had forgotten about the Temple of Khnum at Esna, my mind went immediately to the site at Aswan.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What trips to do ?

many thanks, all the feedback was very usefull, its one of those holidays that is so far away from the usual thing of sitting around a pool in the mediteranean and Im quite nervous about it so talking to people who have been is great. Im new to trip advisor but I will certainly carry on with it

Ta again

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What trips to do ?

Trust me to be different but I really enjoyed my recent visit to the temple of Khnum at Esna.

I had always put it on the backburner for visiting after hearing more negative comments than positive but I finally visited last month and was glad I had.

The temple is in a 'pit' around 9 metres below the current level of the town, this added to the fascination of it for me, thinking what else might be underneath - yet to be uncovered BUT if they excavate more they have to tear down the buildings (and there are some really beautiful buildings in Esna - though in need of some TLC)

In the temple itself they are cleaning up the colours of the reliefs, similar to that at Dendera Temple

I also enjoyed my walk through the local market afterwards and would like to go back and spend a little more time at the temple (we didn't get there till around 4pm) and walking round the town (though please note it's not a tourist town so remember to dress respectfully / cover up more if you do go)

Some photos -

Temple:- travel.webshots.com/album/582564841FdjFhX

Market:- travel.webshots.com/album/582549637VXOXqi

Edited: 15 April 2012, 12:57
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What trips to do ?

Dear Paul

Please don't be nervous! OUt of all the many posts I have read on this forum there have only been one or two from people who have not enjoyed themselves at all in Egypt. There was a large article yesterday in the Independent from someone who was saying how quiet it was at the moment and what a great time they had had.

Do post any more questions you have. And do read a guide book in advance both for modern guidance and a bit of history.

9. Re: What trips to do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:40