We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
410 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

Is this restaurant worth a visit? What would the cost of a meal be? Are there any better restaurants in Luxor?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

I've never eaten here so cannot comment on the food or prices, however you could take a look at the restaurant reviews here on TA by clicking on the 'restaurants' link written in green on the left side of this forum page.

To dine in the 1886 men require to wear jacket and tie and ladies require to dress smartly.

I will try to remember and post some photos of the menus to my webshots folder later and then post the link to it, but they are 2009 prices, so will be out-of-date.

Personally, I prefer to eat in the many other restaurants in Luxor.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

If you are comfortable dressed up and sitting in a very quiet restaurant having a nice meal, with attentive waiters pouring out your wine refills as you need them, then go for it.

Cooking is Nouvelle Cuisine style, so plates are a work of art, but you will not be full afterwards necessarily.

Wine is extortionate.

If there is a special occasion like a Birthday, let them know.

Guitar player in corner is the only entertainment. Whilst he can play fairly well, he does not have any stage presence as such.

Mrs eLaReF usually just has a starter as the main meal, but this is to leave room for the desserts!

This folder on my Webshots pages shows the Corniche Dessert Menus in 2009 - prices were not that much higher in the 1886 at the time travel.webshots.com/album/573846662lGfFHu

Including a beer or two and juices for Mrs eLaReF we would spend around 500-600LE a night.

Whilst the above may appear critical of the place, I enjoy eating there and usually alternate between it and the Corniche during our stays, to the extent that we were eventually told not to worry which restaurant we were in, we could choose from either menu.

When the F&B manager complained that we never ate in HIS favourite one, the Tarboush, I explained that it was because of the desserts for Mrs eL

We found ourselves booked there the next night, with a dessert from the 1886 causing a few looks from the other guests when it arrived.

(and I wear black shoes with black socks before anyone asks!)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

I was going to ask that exact question eLaReF ......

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

Hi again

I have uploaded some photos of the menus to my 2009 Winter Palace album -

community.webshots.com/album/572315606NgXcXn…

Click to make the pictures bigger and then you will see an option in a box to the right to make them full screen.

This link is to my main webshots albums with photos taken in Luxor last year, plus other destinations I have travelled to - please feel free to have a look

http://community.webshots.com/user/marlscat

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

"Are there any better restaurants in Luxor?"

That's a rather open ended question, 007. Many people would say that their particular favourite restaurant is definitely better, but better for what, exactly?

I've no doubt that Chez Omar is better, if you want to eat kofta in the open air, that is! Or the Jamboree, if you'd prefer watching the tourists trying to scuttle through the souk without getting stopped.

I'm sure that the 1886 would be classed as the "fine dining" of central Luxor, but we'll never really know unless we try it for ourselves.

Good luck,

Edward.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

We've eaten at the 1886 a couple of times and enjoyed it. As has been said, the food is delicious, it is well presented on the plate and the 'silver service' is a masterly example of the waiter's art. The restaurant itself is beautifully furnished and there is not a replica football shirt to be seen.

Unfortunately for me, Mr DD expects a huge plateful if he is paying "those prices" (he has a low pain threshold with money, it seems to be his scottish blood) ... so he has taken to "forgetting" his jacket or his good shoes when packing.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

DD - They will lend him a jacket and tie if necessary. The jacket does not have to fit and can be carried in and placed on a chair back

Shoes might be a problem though!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

The jacket he'd have to carry the jacket, as I doubt they stock 52 long and shoes ... well he's never even found a pair of size 14 flip flops in Egypt, let alone shoes. I've spent many a happy hour sitting in the shade while a crowd of eager but baffled shoe salesmen "admire" his mangled feet and admit defeat .Happy days.

lancashire
Level Contributor
66 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

Hi,

We eat in the 1886 everytime we go to Luxor and I would highly recommend it. There are other nice places to eat but the 1886 is the only restaurant where you feel you are getting top quality food cooked by chefs of a certain standard. Also recommend having a cocktail or aperitif in the piano bar before dinner. My husband usually packs a light coloured linen suit and then can wear the trousers another time - the tie doesn't take much extra room! Apart from a change in dining experience, which during a two week visit is very welcome it is worth going there for the atmosphere and history of the place. The prices are lower than you would pay in England or any other European country for food of that standard.

Hope this helps.

10. Re: 1886 Restaurant - Old Winter Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:17