We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrade

What currency do you use to upgrade to all inclusive? Can any one help

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrade

Which hotel?

The hotels we have stayed in have taken either uk £ or Egyptian ones.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrade

I suppose it depends which hotel you are talking about. All the better hotels accept credit cards.

But previously the advice on the forum has been not to go all inclusive in Luxor, as the food is much better in the town restaurants than in the hotels,, and it is inexpensive. You can always eat in your hotel if you really want to, but that may not be often. Luxor is completely different from the Red Sea in that way, as in many others. Look at the tips on the right. There is a useful interactive map showing and reviewing restaurants.

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrade

We have chosen to upgrade at the Nile Palace and they have quoted us in Euro.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrade

If you’re not going to pay in Egyptian Pounds, dollars, sterling and Euros are equally welcome almost everywhere. Working the exchange rates to your ‘least worst’ trade, however, is another matter entirely.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrade

You may be quoted in dollars or euros but ultimately, a conversion has to be made.

If there is a consensus on this forum about eating out in Luxor being better or cheaper than the hotels, I don't share it. Outside the hotels, drinks are often cheaper but food isn't necessarily. Egyptian food and restaurants appeal to me far more than the so-called British style ones but we all like different things.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrade

I would have thought that the problem with AI is not whether the food is better or cheaper outside, but that you have paid for it where you are, therefore just about denying yourself the opportunity to try something different.

Heaven help you if the hotel food is not to your liking!

Just a thought.

Edward.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrade

Personally, I never choose All-Inclusive, mostly because I prefer to eat out and try local restaurants. More and more hotels seem to offer this now in Egypt.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrade

At least if you do go bed and breakfast you have a choice - whether to eat in one of the hotels restaurants whether it be from the buffet or one of their a-la-carte restaurants or head outside and choose from British / Indian / Chinese / Italian / Egyptian - whatever your preference may be.

All Inclusive - you are pretty much stuck with the buffet restaurant having to pay extra to eat in one of the a-la-carte's.

I've been on AI holidays in other places (not Egypt) and got bored mid way through and spent extra money heading out and trying other places.

A main course was costing me around 40LE per person at the very most last month, a beer ranging from 10 to 15/16LE - how much is the All Inclusive upgrade costing? would it be worth your while?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrade

I also agree with the majority to do B & B only - in the early days of visiting Luxor we used to choose BB & evening meal and, to be quite honest, it got a bit boring. Even though the buffets are normally 'themed', they are pretty much all the same and you can get fed up with the same old thing night after night.

To eat out in Luxor is really quite reasonable and there is so much variety now that I always wish I had an extra two weeks as there's so much to choose from!!

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrade

I slightly misread the original post. My upgrade is for a Superior nile view room at the Nile Palace, not an all inclusive package as we are going B and B.

But I suppose the currency type is the same regardless of type of upgrade, at the NP anyway!

Get answers to your questions about Luxor