We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate in Luxor

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate in Luxor

I know everyone on here says to get your money when you arrive in Luxor because of the better exchange rates, but I am curious to know how much better is it.

Currently according to XE.com the official rate is 9.75 and the post office is offering 8.8. What is the current rate offered in Luxor centre?

Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

The exchange rate is always approx 10% better in Egypt than it is in the UK.

A week ago I got a rate of £1 = LE9.50 in Luxor.

Coinmill (usually pretty accurate with the rate in Egypt) are showing £1 = LE9.77 today.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

Last week I got 9.52 at the Sonesta and 9.55 at the Exchange shop, think it was called Roxy Exchange, towards the Sheraton on the left, I asked for small change and they gave me 1000 5LE notes and the rest in 50's, still got some left for my return visit.

Phil

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

I exchanged some Euros today at 7.92. I didn't take much notice of the rate for Sterling, but I'm sure it was 9.7 something, which would tally with bfs's theory.

Regards,

Edward.

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

Thanks for the replies. I still think I will exchange a small amount (£100) in the UK so I can familiarize myself with the notes before we go in August.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

The exchange rate is better in Luxor....if you want more for your sterling change it at the airport

Level Contributor
332 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

Steve, I also changed around £100 before going for the same reason & my parents had given the kids spending money in Egyptian pounds. The Post Office could only give me LE100 notes although they were nice clean ones!

It's no problem at all changing money whilst you're there though & you really do get a far better deal. Being a complete 'preparation nerd' I'd also printed out the images of the currency which can be found here on TA. I'm a bit rubbish with money so it was very useful to familiarise myself prior to going. It wasn't necessary to change any money here really but I just felt happier having some 'just incase'.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

Steve - if you also look under the topic 'money and tipping' in the top questions written alphabetically in blue down the right hand side of this forum page, you'll see various links which will help you with the currency and tipping etc., including a pictorial record as to what the money looks like.

In our experience, when you buy LE in the UK you don't often get small notes. If you do buy some before you go, take some of your larger notes to the bank cashier at the airport and ask for it to be changed into small bills.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

You really don't need to change your money in the UK first. Your first opportunity to make a money exchange will be in the arrivals hall at the airport at the Bank/Visa kiosks. You will find that the airport rate is good and certainly better than the UK rate, and you can ask for some smaller denomination notes/coins.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,669 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

It isn't so much the exchange rate itself, but the difference between that and the buy & sell rates

The exchange rate is http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/currencies/converter/#from=GBP;to=EGP;amt=1 (9.7425 at time of writing)

In the UK - using whole numbers - the official rate may be this but the buy and sell rates are about 10% either side of that so 10.5 & 8.5 so when you do it in the UK you get 8.5LE to your £1 NOT 9.74

In Egypt, it the rates are about 1% either side of the main rate - see here for buy and sell rates http://www.nbe.com.eg/en/ExchangeRate.aspx currently 968.06 and 986.69, so you get 9.68LE for your £ - The Exchange rate is the same, but compare with the UK example

That is where the advantage of exchanging in Egypt is - Next time you see the glowing board in your local travel agent's window look at the gap between the buy and sell figures - THAT is their profit margin!!!!!

Edited: 25 April 2012, 13:17
10. Re: Exchange rate in Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:43
Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations