We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

Hi Folks

Ive read numerous threads about whether or not you can take cameras into the valley of the kings. As I just got back I can advise that you are not allowed to take cameras into the valley of the kinds nor are you allowed to take photos on the road up to the valley of the kings (past the souvenir stalls and entrance admission). You may be asked if you have a camera at the official entrance gate to the VOTK and if you say you do then they will hold it and you will get it back when you leave. I got to the VOTK early and was the first one there. My camera was held but I did notice other people after the first hour walking around with cameras around their necks. It seems to be an ad hoc rule.

Going by the tomb guards constant requests for Baksheesh Im sure that you could pay baksheesh and take photos - as you seemed to be able to do everything else for a few pounds. I refused.

They will also want Baksheesh for holding your camera for you. I declined.

Egypts history isn't in great hands.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

My last visit to the valley was in Summer 2009. I was allowed to...or at least not stopped from taking pictures and yards and yards of film. The only time I had to surrender my camera was for Tut's tomb.

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

ChalkyMik, this has been in operation for around 2 years or so, that was the old ruling you mention. Still no use of cameras in VOKs, I can't see it changing in a hurry either (if ever !!!!!!).

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,402 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

I was there last month and no tectonically you can't take pictures. Our guide had us put our camera away he said if they see it they can take it from you and many times it gets "lost" so you can't get it back.

Must be a big market in cameras there.

Collie

San Diego
Level Contributor
49 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

Yes, no cameras in VOK....None in Valley of the Workers either....Valley of the Nobles yes....I was there in Dec 2011. There's an official place where you leave them...they give you a number and you get it back. Sorta like a coat check...

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

You can take photos in Valley of the Workers / Deir El Medina - just not in the tombs, they have to be left with a guardian before you go down into the tombs. Pictures outside the tombs i.e. remains of the village and the small temple are fine.

No way would I risk using my camera in the Valley of the Kings and trying to take a sneaky photo. Just because one or two get away with it doesn't mean I would and then find myself with a hefty fine, memory card wiped or even camera confiscated at the worst.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

I wouldn't risk it either. You MIGHT get away with it but do you really want to risk losing not only your pictures from the rest of your trip but your camera as well ?.

I may not agree with the rule, particularly photos being taken outside in the valley itself, but whilst its in force i will abide by it.

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

I took photo's just outside the entrance to the valley of the kings (where the trains stop) with no problem in February this year but don't try taking any in the tombs. You used to be able to years ago but not now. My dense friend tried this and didn't turn her flash off; consequently although the tomb staff couldn't see her they saw the flash and tried to drag her off to the tourist police when she didn't want to hand over her camera card! It cost me 100LE (about a tenner) to persuade him otherwise (plus she burst into tears which might also have helped). It does clearly state no photo's in the tombs! As an Archaeologist I can appreciate that this is actually a good idea to stop the constant flashlights from eventually damaging the painted finishes, which they would over time.

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

I meant to say that although there is a security check-in for cameras we kept our cameras in our bags which didn't seem to be a problem (until dense friend took hers out); although this practice will probably be stopped if people are caught taking photos! Teachers? What can you do with them?!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

I visited the Valley of the Kings last Sunday 6 May and was asked not to use my camera in the valley but I was allowed to keep it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cameras in the Valley of the Kings

Another perspective on this topic is that flash photography has a damaging effect on the delicate tomb paintings, some of which are around 4-5,000 years old.