We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how quiet in luxor

chester le street
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how quiet in luxor

Hi how busy are the nile cruises and sheraton hotel at the moment .....

Edited: 02 May 2012, 11:31
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how quiet in luxor

Hi Susan,

When I was in Egypt in March I was told by a few people that hotels / cruises in Luxor are currently running at around 20% occupancy.

Suzie

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how quiet in luxor

Friends of ours reckon that hotels are running on the fewest numbers they have ever seen. They were there a few weeks ago and said that the numbers are affecting the atmosphere and services available to tourists. The plus point is that the sites are beautifully peaceful to walk around - with the exception of baksheesh seekers. They never give up:)

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how quiet in luxor

I was in the El Luxor this evening and only saw 2 people checking in from the UK flights.... not good

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how quiet in luxor

Susan, I was also there in March and the cruise ships were few and far between, the one I was on was only half full if that. The tourists are just not going like they have in the past and it's badly hurting their economy.

Collie

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how quiet in luxor

I spoke to someone a few days ago who was staying at the Sheraton, who said that they had only seen about 8 people ever being around the pool on any of the 100 or so sunbeds that were there, so I guess that gives you an idea and from watching the very few boats that are cruising past, the occupancy on them seems somewhat similar.

The noticable lack of holiday coaches going up and down is also very evident, whereas, at one time, coaches would sometimes be in 2's or 3's going up and down virtually all day long and now on some days I wouldn't see one at all.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how quiet in luxor

You wouldn't know there was a problem from the prices on offer for next year.

Two of the big UK operators are currently asking just short of 30% more for packages at Easter 2013 compared to what we paid in 2011.

I appreciate a chunk of that is increased air tax, that we're looking at a couple of the pricier hotels, and that cooler school holiday periods will always be dearer than (say) June or September but unless there's some downward movement we'll be putting thoughts of a return visit on hold

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how quiet in luxor

If you book easyJet as soon as the flights become available, they are surprisingly cheap! Couple this with a hotel booking via one of the multitude of booking agent sites and you're onto a winner!

Don't despair, there are more options than the standard package holiday.

Regards,

Edward.

chester le street
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: how quiet in luxor

thanks 1 week to go x

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how quiet in luxor

I booked an Easyjet flight for my recent holiday, it cost around £500 for 2 people. I have just looked again for the same flights later in the year (Sept/Oct and the price is around £800, they are almost the same price as Thomson and TC. For the same price, I can fly Egyptair.

The people wonder why Luxor is so quiet, the tour operators/flight companies are NOT helping the situation.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how quiet in luxor

With Easyjet you really do have to book as early as possible to take advantage of the low cost flights. Two of us went out in Easter holidays, flight cost us £224 including 2 cases. That was for both of us. However we did book the flight in September. I know some people went for even less than this, however they booked even before me.

Haven't booked via a tour companywith a package for a very long time - couldn't afford to do it that way . Last year met a couple who had been to Luxor many, many times and always stayed at the Jolie Ville. As Thomsons have now dropped this hotel from their brochure, they stayed elsewhere, and didn't like it. They were not aware you could book online through other sites.

Yes, it is quiet, ideal for sightseeing though. As the locals say they see some tourists on the buses, being taken to the cruise boats, but not many walking about.

We did not find the hassle too much at all. Definately find saying 'shukran' with a smile, and continuing on your way worked a treat.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor