We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best book/travel guide for Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best book/travel guide for Luxor

I am considering a holiday to Luxor but want a book I can use as a reference and guide so my question is which is the best?

I am looking for something with the historic sites, way of life in Luxor and realistic advice any help is appreciated so thanks in advance.

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

If you are after a guide to the tombs and temples Kent Weeks guide to Luxor is in a class of its own.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

Another vote for Kent Weeks - The Treasures of Luxor and the Valley of the Kings - as setihay says its in a class of its own!

Suzie :-)

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

Another vote for the Kent Weeks book, and also for the Rough Guide to Egypt...

Level Contributor
314 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

And if it's a general guide you're after then I found the Lonely Planet guide to Egypt quite good. Lots of maps & info. They also have a phone app but I must confess to downloading it & then not using it. There's also vast amounts of useful & practical info here on TA, some of which I printed for reference.

I also got a fantastic vintage guide book to Luxor on eBay - printed in the 1930s, obviously not too relevant today but lovely to compare with the modern stuff :)

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

I like the Rough Guide for general info, but more so for the sense of excitement it engenders as you 'dip in' and and come across yet another unexpected wonder which you are soon gong to see or experience!

Have fun,

Edward.

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

yet another vote for the Kent Weeks book! Well written, great photos and lots of information

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

Hmmm... the book I bought 2 weeks ago in Luxor, to tell what it was I just saw, was:

"The Illustrated Guide to LUXOR Tombs, Temples, and Museums" by Kent R. Weeks.

It's about 4x8 inches, fairly heavy, 560pp thick bendable cover paperback filled with colour photos of the sites, diagrams, including layout and description of each VoK tomb. My edition published in Egypt by the American University in Cairo Press.

So there's another vote for the same book.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 00:06
Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

Thanks everyone have sent for the rough guide to Egypt and the Kent weeks book looking forward to them arriving

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

I will tell him tomorrow you're all buying his book he will be pleased!

R

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best book/travel guide for Luxor

Ras2 if you are seeing him put a word in for all of us to see KV5, especially Setihay!