We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

royal viking cruise,going solo!

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
royal viking cruise,going solo!

Thinking of a solo cruise in October 2012, from what I,ve read so far should suit the solo traveller. Any comments?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: royal viking cruise,going solo!

I've travelled on Royal Viking twice, and have travelled with Viking themselves since 1999 and, both of the Royal Vikning cruises have been on a solo basis. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed both tours.

As a general overview of the cruise:

I've only ever joined the boat in Aswan, for the cruise down to Luxor; I always fly into an out of Cairo, so I'm unable to comment on most of the evening entertainments and the Egyptian food night, which are held during the earlier part of the cruise. However, the ship itself is modern, with decor that is somewhat more restrained than somme of the boats you see, being in hardwood and stone tiles, trather than gold.

Cabins are comfortably furnished, with twin beds, wardrobe, desk, TV and ensuite bathroom.

The suites are larger, with a queen-size bed, chaise lounge and jacuzi (spelling?) and window that allow you to soak in the bathroom and watch the world float past, when actually sailing.

Food was always a buffet, with good quantities and a reasonable variety of dishes.

Drinks in the bar were priced at LE40 for beer (Stella or Sakarra) and about LE10 for a Turkish coffee (sorry, but I can't remember the price of a bottle of water).

There is ample seating on the sundeck, open or covered, and towels are supplied for those who wish to partake of the sunbeds.

The crew/management were all very friendly and helpful.

Excursions were by either coaches (as a pair of larger groups) or mini-bus (when on my own itinerary), even for the short distance to the, new, entrance to Luxor Temple. Individual guides will or won't insist on visiting the perfumery/papyrus "museum"; I've never had a problem with declining these.

Photos of the public areas can be found here:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Standard cabin views are here:

And a suite, here:

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: royal viking cruise,going solo!

Ive done 3 Cruises solo, Misr , Darakum and Tarot ,,

You soon blend in with other travellers and I have never been the only single traveller . Often solo travellers are put on the same table at meal times. but its always been easy to make conversation to other groups

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: royal viking cruise,going solo!

Have you made a decision on this trip? I went as a single male in June, and it was the first time I had ever done anything overseas, without a female partner. To conclude, it was fantastic, and the group I was saddled with all had the most amazing time.

4. Re: royal viking cruise,going solo!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:19