We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free advice please in Luxor

CLITHEROE LANCS
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free advice please in Luxor

As we all know the duty free system in uk is a joke. Could anyone please advise as to approximate costs of tailor made and loose tobacco in Luxor, also best place to purchase

thank you

scotland
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free advice please in Luxor

I have only seen golden virginia twice in duty free in Luxor -most times they dont stock loose tobacco.id recomend buying it in duty free on way out to Egypt.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free advice please in Luxor

Similar questions have been asked before regarding loose tobacco and the general consensus of opinion is to buy it at the UK Duty Free. Friends that we travel with always buy Golden Virginia loose tobacco to bring back for friends at home and have to buy it in the UK Duty Free, take it to Luxor, and bring it back to the UK!

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free advice please in Luxor

Lots of tobacco products sold on the streets in Luxor are Chinese fakes, and taste absolutely disgusting, don't be tempted! I would second sbboss's suggestion and get it where you know it's provenance, even though the 'tax free' shops are a standing joke.

Once when I was buying my Old Holburm at the 'tax free' shop at Heathrow, I was so incensed at the 'tax free' price, that I asked to see the manager. A lady duly arrived, and I asked her exactly which 'tax' the (presumably gold plated) tobacco was free of. "Errr, income tax!" came the reply.

Yes, I was astounded too, and lost for words, for once!

Regards,

Edward.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 23:56
4. Re: Duty free advice please in Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2012, 14:30
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free advice please in Luxor

I don't know if it is me tiendasdf but I can't find the prices on that web site, you could look at the official Egyptian duty free web site which is

http://www.egyptfreeshops.com/

We went in April and also tried to buy loose tobacco in the duty free shop in town and at the airport while departing and they had none. They didn't even have the brand my wife likes at the airport as we entered or in the town.

Phil

6. Re: Duty free advice please in Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:46
Get answers to your questions about Luxor