We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Ratings

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Star Ratings

Hi all, Im not sure if many know how hotels are * rated. I have read countless reviews of the Sofitel Karnak Luxor where people have stated that it is not 5* .

Hotels are not * rated on how luxurious they are but the facilities they have available in them. With this in mind the Sofitel Karnak for instance has a huge amount of facilities that most holiday hotels don.t IE meetings rooms & can be used as a wedding venue. It also has a gym, tennis courts, football courts, Jacuzzi, & sauna. I have worked in 4* & 5* hotels in london with less facilities. Things are tough for the tourism industry as visitors from Europe & the USA are scared to holiday there at the moment so investing in hotel decor could be catastrophic for even the profitable ones. Thomson holidays also rate 4t . This hotel is next to Histories most famous river & close by is the amazing ancient city of Thebes whose streets & temples were walked on by the likes of King Tut, Seti 1, & Ramesses The great. This alone beats the 4 & 5* in the likes of the costas. The Sofitel according to many of the reviews has a good manager and attentive staff this also would give them high marks when compared to the surly unfriendly staff in many UK hotels & many in other holiday destinations we visit Im sure you would agree.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa
Mara House
Mara House
#2 of 54 hotels in Luxor
Nefertiti Hotel
Nefertiti Hotel
#3 of 54 hotels in Luxor
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Ratings

Thank you very much for independently stating what is obvious to some of us, but which the majority don't seem to understand. The 'Egyptian 5*' thing is bandied about endlessly on here, as if there were some conspiracy afoot to defraud tourists. Many posters keep telling people that "The hotels aren't like European 5*, more like 3 or 4."

In my former life (in England) I was often unfortunate enough to have to pay up to £80 or £90 per night for hotels, without breakfast. If you want to grumble about star ratings, standards of cleanliness and comfort, and value for money. Then try staying in some of the chain hotels scattered around Great Britain!

Many hotels in Upper Egypt give incredible value for money, and as far as facilities go are streets ahead of many ultra luxurious hotels in England and elsewhere.

Rant over!

Edward.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,391 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Ratings

Whilst I might agree with Luxorflats, I am one who frequently makes the statement about subtracting 1-2 stars to get world ratings

Most holiday makers would feel out of place in a real 5* hotel - They do not want to dress for dinner etc. etc. They just want a fairly comfortable time in a hotel with the facilities they want.

But whilst all brochures state that all hotels and boats are 5* how do you get a comparison?

If the 4 Seasons in Cairo is 5* then the Karnak isn't, enjoyable though it may be

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Ratings

For me, as long as a hotel is reasonably clean, that is all that matters. To be honest the staff are more important, good staff = good hotel, simplez.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Ratings

I have stayed in 2* which were fabulous and just what i wanted and 5* that were the pits so far as i was concerned. One mans meat is another mans poison so to speak.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star Ratings

I seem to remember, perhaps a couple of years ago, a very famous 5* luxury hotel in Cairo being downgraded because they stopped serving alcohol. There were ructions on at the time.

Does the Four Seasons in Cairo have the same facilities as the Sofitel Karnak? Is it right on the Nile, and quite secluded; but still near enough to most of the outside attractions? How about the air quality, I've heard that the Cairo atmosphere can be quite noxious!

In any event, how does the cost compare, as value is paramount for most tourists.

A star rating is no guarantee of quality, comfort or luxuriousness, which is what many people actually think, and quite possibly it should be!.

Regards,

Edward.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star Ratings

I stayed in hotels while staying in Arizona 'I stayed in b&b rooms that were better than many supposed 4* hotels in the uk . looking forward to my visit to Luxor & the sofitel, any tips would be appreciated.

Regards

Danny

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star Ratings

Egypt offers travellers some good value accommodation compared to western prices. Until there are international standards that are universally applied, there will always be debate on how countries rate their hotels.

Star ratings are only a guide, of course. TA ratings are opinion only. We all have different opinions of what is good. I absolutely wouldn't agree with the OP that the Sofitel Karnak is good but I see why it has a rating similar to other large resort hotels. The Four Seasons Nile Plaza, I love but it isnt as good as Four Seasons resorts in other world cities, in some respects. The rooms are luxurious compared to The Sofitel Karnak and the views truly stunning. How do you compare views though? Cities? Locations? The Sofitel Karnak also has a great views from the grounds. The design of the hotel means that room views are extremely disappointing despite the magnificent Nile on its doorstep.

Today's travellers are far more sophisticated than they were decades ago. I disagree that people feel out of place in five star hotels. A very good hotel absolutely does not make its guests feel anything but welcome. Some of Cairo's luxury hotels - The Fairmont, The Four Seasons, for example, make guests feel like royalty, regardless of how far from it we actually are :) Egyptians are truly excellent at hospitality,regardless of how little or how much you pay for your room. Hoteliers across the world could learn much from how Egypt welcomes guests.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 19:23
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Star Ratings

here here Aswan

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,391 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Star Ratings

Like Edward I've stayed in a range of hotel rooms.

These have ranged through £6 a night in a UK bar, £9/£19 a room in Travelodges recently to the Umaid Bhawain in Jodhpur, and the Lake Palace in Udaipur so feel I have some experience across the ranges available

Back to The Karnak for a moment

Kuoni have it as 4* on their website and Thomson have 4 'T's!!

Funnily enough alongside Kuoni's rating is a section saying 'Trip Advisor rating' with about 4.3 (OK 4 'n a bit) circles ticked!

And I have met people in the WP who were definitely in the wrong hotel and helped get them moved to the Nile Palace, so that and other similar experiences means I will stick to my statement that not everyone is comfortable in a (real) 5* hotel,

I am also willing to accept arguments that even the WP isn't 5*!

10. Re: Star Ratings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 September 2012, 14:18
Edited: 09 September 2012, 14:18