We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

Hi,

Can anyone let me know whether a marriage contract is required for two adults using U.S. passports to share a double cabin on a nile cruise? My boyfriend and I are planning on traveling in early October 2012. He is Egyptian but will be using an American passport and I too will be using an American passport.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

Provided your boyfriend is the holder of a genuine American passport then you should not require a marriage certificate but you should prepare yourself for possibly a lot of checks and possible inconvenience especially if he is of Egyptian 'appearance'.

I say that because a few years ago my wife and I spent a lot of time with another English couple on a Nile cruise followed by a hotel stay, where the wife was white, but the husband, although British born, was of middle eastern appearance (skin colour etc) and was constantly mistaken for an Egyptian, although he was neither,

A consequence of his appearance was that he was continually challenged whilst on the boat and after disembarking, was always stopped when he, (walking with the rest of us) attempted to go aboard again and was only allowed on board after much arguement and close scrutinization of his passport every time.

The situation was the same at the hotel, (as locals are not permitted to enter most tourist hotels) and as you can imagine, this became quite annoying for them by the end of their holiday.

I would certainly advise your boyfriend to carry his passport with him everywhere and perhaps to not speak Arabic when challenged, as this may only make the situation worse.

Good luck.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

If your husband holds an American passport he should be okay but I would advise taking copies of your marriage certificate as the bureaucracy in Egypt can be over the top at times. The cruise ships and hotels will keep a copy of the marriage certificate along with copies of the passports which they are required to do by Egyptian law. My husband (Egyptian passport) and I (Australian passport) have personally experienced this exact scenario many times and now carry copies of all relevant certificates with us at all times. In my experience, I consider that speaking Arabic is not a hindrance and can actually appease these situations and he has never been refused entry to any hotel.

Hope that this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

I didnt think they were married ?. It only asks if a marriage contract is required but the term used is boyfriend so i am presuming they are not

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

What would 'help' is that if those replying to the OP's question read it properly in the first place, as the Egyptian man in question is her BOYFRIEND, so from that it can only be assumed that they are NOT married, so will have NO marriage certificate to carry, as if they did, they no doubt would, so would not be asking the question in the first place.

IMO belly-dancer, your situation is completely different, so the same actions may not apply.

Point 1, you ARE married, so you and your Egyptian husband DO have a marriage certificate to carry with you.

Point 2, your husband is an Egyptian passport holder, whereas, the OP's boyfriend holds an American passport.

My point about NOT speaking Arabic when challenged, was because the boyfriend held an American passport, so he,for all intents and purposes, would be an American citizen, NOT an Egyptian and could varify that by production of his American passport.

If he began speaking fluent Arabic when challenged, then IMO this may confuse the situation or create suspicion regarding his passport, which is exactly the same thing that would probably happen if your husband (an Egyptian passport holder) did NOT speak Arabic when challenged.

As already stated, IMO the 2 situations are completely different, so cannot be resolved in the same way.

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

hi can you contact me about a tranfer please on monday 26th nov

6. Re: Marriage Contract Required for Nile Cruises?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:18