We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

Lancashire
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

Finally going back to Luxor in December, and would love to combine a long horse riding trek with an overnight stay in the desert.

Anyone ever done anything like this and can recommend anywhere? My horseyness is reasonably adequate (she said, not thinking about athletic Arab horses......!), but I'm thinking the temperature in the wilderness at this time of year might be a bit (lot!) chilly overnight. Will be going with my husband who's not been riding as long as me, but is quite confident.

Many thanks for your advice :-)

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

To the best of my knowledge there are no local trip companies that offer anything like you describe (on horseback), so I would suggest that your best bet would be to approach some of the stable owners situated on the westbank (near the local ferry) and try and negotiate something.

However, although I don't think you will have a problem arranging a 'long' horse riding trek in this way I feel you may have a problem with getting someone to agree to the 'overnight' idea, at least before you have built up a long and close friendship with the horse owners concerned.

But, Egypt being Egypt, everything will have it's 'price', so theoretically you could make it happen but I think it would not be cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

As KVExplorer said, I am sure it could be arranged, but it will be extremely cold at night and I would expect that permission from the authorities would need to be obtained in order to overnight in the desert.

And please remember, the desert around Luxor is predominately rocky and not sandy. Its not like camping in, say, the White Desert.

Its always worth asking the question though, once you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

ElizabethH55 has pointed out an important point, I did quad biking and even the tracks are very rocky. I have also been a horse rider and would not think that kind of terrain would be suitable to a comfortable ride. Most of the riding is done amongst the fields. So you might find a route, north or south that follows the Nile and close to the desert.

Phil

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

www.luxorstables.com (Nobi) on the West Bank was advertising this trip when I was there this month, sorry can't remember the price though.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

I've not done or thought about an overnight stay in the desert (camping is not really my thing)

Back in March I had a look round a few of the stables on the WB, found horses that looked healthy and would support my weight (I'm rather on the chunky side) and booked initially for a 3 hour trek through the villages.

Route took us through some of the small WB villages and countryside seeing wildlife like mongoose and a monitor lizard on the way, stopped at a cafe by Habu for 30 minutes for a break for ourselves and the horses before deciding to continue on into the desert.

Our guide took us to a desert wadi where there was a stone circle made up, he said that european ladies meditated / prayed there as they thought the area was very special.

We walked up the wadi a little and up into the hills (not too far though) - scenery was stunning before getting back on the horses and heading back a different route through all the little villages, it's something I'll be doing again for sure when I head back to Luxor next, it was one of the highlights of the holiday. Cost for the horses was 40LE per hour tho we did get a little discount for being out for so long - we could have had longer if we wanted.

Like Phil said the ground is stony out there but there seems to be set paths that the horses do seem to follow which made it not too uncomfortable

I am also aware of a company down in Aswan who offer a 2 day camel safari though not 100% sure what it all entails.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 14:00
Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

Contact Nobi 0020 01005048558 or info@luxorstables.com don't know if you'd be allowed to camp overnight though, but if you want a nice ride (I went for about 4 hours) then they have some lovely horses.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

Hi sueskyblue, I have sent you a PM.

8. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 15:05
9. Re: horse riding 'safari' on the West Bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 00:18