We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Topic
Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Visitors to the Valley of the Kings who have any desire to visit the real (not a replica) tomb of Tutankhamun (KV62) should perhaps do so at their ealiest opportunity, as it appears that time may be running out to do so . . . . .

independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/how-tour…

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

An interesting article and very probably a sign of things to come. (Thanks for the reference.) A few years ago, I read that they were thinking about recreating an entire ‘Disneyland’ VoK for the tourists so that the original could be protected from the ravages of tourism.

Ridiculous of course but, to quote the article referred to above, “the detrimental effects of “fluctuating humidity levels from thousands of panting visitors” do take their toll and sooner or later the authorities will have to choose between the tourist dollar and the preservation of a heritage. Besides, isn’t it time that somebody gave the poor kid (Tut) a descent reburial?

Edited: 05 November 2012, 02:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Apologies to each and all concerned but, instead of “descent reburial ”, please be so kind as to read “decent reburial”.

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Thanks for that interesting link KV. Haven't been in the tomb for years, so may visit this time as a farewell.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Another report on the same plans to permanently close Tuts tomb . . .

dailymail.co.uk/travel/…

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Thanks for update KV - I remember many years ago that 'Tut's' tomb sustained water damage, due a faulty conduit from a cafe/lav pipe, not that close, there wasn't as such a rest room then, maybe late 90's/early 2000? The tomb was closed for ages as a result.

I count myself as one of the lucky people, to have been able to enjoy, in particular, Kings Valley, when a majority of the tombs were open.

As a TA advisor, can you enlighten me, why are the posts ref rain in luxor now closed topics? Those of us who have been regular visitors, will not be concerned, those new visitors I think will realise that rain in the area is very unusual, perhaps this is a panic drive?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

" ... maybe late 90's/early 2000? The tomb was closed for ages as a result."

Unless there were more closures, it was earlier than that, Stileto - when I was there in November 1990 the tomb was closed and had a notice "Closed for restoration" at the entrance. Once it re-opened there was an extra charge for going inside.

Requiescat in pace, Tutankhamen ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

“...why are the posts ref rain in luxor now closed topics?”

Curious indeed! Perhaps someone has decided to prove Mark Twain wrong. I’m also sorry that I wasn’t there to see the downpour.

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Tutankhamun's tomb was water damaged on 1st January 1991, but it wasn't due to a leaking pipe. Water from a severe rainstorm got in through an ancient fault in the rock.

"It stained and washed away some of the pigment of the painted figure of Tutankhamun's ka, a part of the spirit of the boy king. When the storm was over, some three inches of water lay on the floor of the burial chamber all around the king's sarcophagus, water that was finally bailed out by local EAO officials and a conservation student who happened to be present on that day."

- John Romer (The Rape of Tutankhamun)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

Interesting, thanks for posting the articles. Any idea when the closure will happen?

My husband and I have two weeks in Egypt in May next year - we'd like to visit the tomb if possible before the chance is gone.

If not though, I'm glad that moves are being taken to preserve the tomb - I wonder how far the policy will extend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Time running out to visit the 'real' Tut tomb

The dates given in the articles for the planned unvieling of the Tut replica tomb has already now passed, but it's intended location and when it will be used in place of the original is as of yet undecided, as tourist numbers are so low at the moment it is not yet considered viable.

I think you will be okay to see the REAL KV62 in May, as (fingers crossed) I doubt if much will have changed by then.

My Missus is Tuts No.1 fan in the whole world and so is keeping a very close eye on the subject !