We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Air Balloon

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hot Air Balloon

Could anyone tell me how much this trip costs we are going to Luxor in April 2013.

Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Hey great idea. Cheap, easy to carry and unique!

Thanks.

Kate

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Except for the fact that the 1LE notes have now been replaced with coins, a change that came in quite a while ago now, so any 1LE notes that ARE still in circulation will be far from 'pristine' by now, I should think !

Edited: 08 November 2012, 16:45
Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Oh bottoms!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hot Air Balloon

My friend has a dodgy knee and neither of us are crazy about heights. It was a fantastic experience. But you are at the mercy of the winds and weather, so you can't control where you go or for how long.

Bath
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Just come back and paid 300LE with a local travel agent. An unforgettable experience and I had never wanted to do one before but am so glad I did!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Whilst I can't disagree with Verity's statement about the wind, Balloon pilots actually have quite a lot of control by varying the balloon's height.

Yes, you are basically going to go 'downwind' but the wind is not always in the same direction at different heights.

On one of my flights we ended up almost back at the launch site, having been a fair distance up-river first.

You will get the landing position briefing and be told that you will always land facing backwards, whilst squatting slightly and holding the rope in front of you. That is the pilots other main control, rotation. So he turns the balloon so that the direction of travel, as you near the ground, is backwards.

But JHP1956's experience says it all!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Happy to say that on my last two flights we did not have to adopt the squat/landing position and were even told we could keep our camera's out and continue taking photo's. The landing was so soft it was almost as much a surprise as it was realising we'd actually left the ground initially!

28. Re: Hot Air Balloon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2012, 00:35
Bedford
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Kate - We have just returned from Egypt - Nile Cruise and week at Titanic Palace. The highlight for me was the balloon ride. I recently celebrated my 80th birthday and had always wanted to do a balloon ride but had been dissuaded by friends because of my dodgy knees (and other things!). However I was encouraged by other travellers on our boat and did the trip the first morning at dawn - meant getting up at 3 am tho! My husband does not like heights so stayed in bed. It was amazing and I would not have missed it for the world. However, I could not climb into the basket because of my knees, so 3 hunky men hauled me in - and out later! A bit undignified, but gave everybody a good laugh. The landing was good, and I did manage to crouch down fairly low as instructed by the captain as we touched down. This is a strict safety rule. Go for it Kate!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Hot Air Balloon

Weel Dun Groovy Granny!!