We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Bexley, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

My daughter will be 10 next year, and has a very keen interest in ancient Egypt. I myself am also interested so want to book a week away in October next year.

I'm aware Egypt has a lot to offer in historical interest so I know we wont get to see everything. Barring in mind she will only be 10 I also dont want it to be a rush around and also plan to spend some time relaxing as well.

She really wants to see the pyramids which are in Cario so Im not sure it would be feasible to do a day trip from Luxor,which I know you can do but its a long time with a very early start. I do plan to take her to Karnak Temple (maybe in the evening,not sure) and Valley of the Kings. Im not sure if I should consider a twin centre holiday of Cairo and Luxor?

Also any good tips on hotels? I was looking at Steigenberger Nile Palace Hotel or Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor-I am still a bit clueless but these two hotels have consistently good reviews. Have not looked at hotels in Cairo yet.

Basically any advice for a single parent whose daughter is Egypt crazy would be appreciated !

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

If your daughter is “Egypt crazy”, I don’t see how you can avoid trying to see the pyramids and the Egyptian Museum. (Luxor has a museum but the exhibits cannot begin to compare.) Day trips to Cairo are easy to arrange in Luxor but, as you say, they make for a long day. To make things easier (and see more of the sights), you could go for two days. If you want to make your own arrangements, the airfare can be quite cheap.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Both the Nile Palace and Jolie Ville are good. jV has bigger grounds but is a bit out of town. Egyptians love children and will dote on your daughter. It must make a change from all those elderly people they get.

Two days in Cairo and the rest in Luxor is ideal. You can either get a package like that or simply get a package to Luxor and fit in an overnight to Cairo, which you can organise while there. oK you lose two hotel nights you have paid for, but it is easier and perhaps no more expensive than custom building a trip.

Karnak is not open in the evening, except for the sound and light, but Luxor Temple is. When in Luxor you can book any number of activities much more cheaply than doing it from the UK.

You might consider the hot air balloon, which is great fun.

Several people on this forum use a particular local agent who is very reliable, send me a private message via the forum for his details.

If you have not already taken your daughter to the British Museum and so on, you might start now. the Petrie Museum is also good and the Ashmolean in Oxford has also just reopened. You can also get books on how to read hieroglyphs which would make good Xmas presents. Finally the magazine Ancient Egypt is interesting with nice pictures but not overly academic and has a special section for younger readers. I am away from home at the moment but would be happy to send you some back copies on my return if you contact me privately.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
333 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Hi !

Mon anglais n'étant pas terrible , qqun (ou vous même ! ) pourrez traduire avec Google , si nécessaire !

J'ai fait ce voyage ( 1 semaine à Luxor seulement ) avec un enfant passonné de 6 ans ! Il demandait d'aller aux pyramides mais trop fatigant à cet âge ; avec votre fille , comme on vous l'a dit , c'est faisable .

Pour les visites , n'allez pas seulement aux sites les + connus , comme la vallée des Rois : allez aussi aux Nobles et Artisans : scènes de la vie de tous les jours, qui ont amusé et intéressé l'enfant . De même , le temple de Luxor illuminé ( pas Karnak) , le soir : effet magique !

Pour l'hôtel , je suis fan du Jolie Ville et, après les visites, mon petit-fils se défoulait dans les piscines et jardins .

Bonnes futures vacances !

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

I second brigitte's suggestions - here is a translation of the 3 important paragraphs:

I did this holiday (1 week at Luxor only) with a keen 6-year-old. He wanted to go to the pyramids - but too tiring at that age - with your daughter, as you have said, it is feasible.

For visits, don't go only to the best-known sites such as the Valley of the Kings, go also to the (tombs of) the Nobles and Artisans - scenes of everyday life which amused and interested the child. Furthermore, (see) the temple of Luxor (not Karnak) illuminated in the evening: magical!

As for the hotel, I am a fan of the Jolie Ville and, after visiting the sites, my grandson wound down in the swimming pools and gardens.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
333 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Thank you so much! ! !

NE UK
Level Contributor
612 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

I stayed at the JV with my grandchildren and we all loved it. There are plenty of grounds to wander around, and it felt very safe as there is no traffic on the island, though I understand the hotel now use little truck things to ferry guests around. It was a lovely place to swim and relax after sightseeing, and the ice creams are to die for! Good luck and have a great time.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Hi Decems, have a wonderful holiday.

As a guess, has your daughter been 'doing Egypt' at school this year? Reason I ask is that my albums and memorabilia have spent several years doing the rounds in Guernsey schools for children of her age. My first Egypt buzz was as a 6 year old, I was taken by my Gran to a museum close by the Norman Keep in Colchester, where there was a mummy, then, another magical trip with her to the British Museum in London.

Egypt is such a huge, wonderful experience; I suggest that your daughter could have a starter taste by your staying in Luxor, visiting both Karnak and Luxor temples, Luxor museums, Valley of the Kings. Then if time and energy allows, adding on the Pyramids, Cairo museum.

This itinerary will need more than a week but for a first time, for a child, just enough to want to come again.

As for hotels in Luxor, I suggest that you look at those close to the temples, which are magical when spotlighted, your daughter will be very tired once you get to Egypt, but she will not forget her first views.

Please PM me if I can help further.

Best wishes

Bexley, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies. Its encouraging as sadly a few people close to me have suggested I am acting irresponsibily by taking her to egypt..hot weather...lots of walking etc. However she remains fascinated,in particular with mummies, how the structures like the pyramids were built etc.

Stileto-, she has been learning about egypt at school. But about 2 years ago I took her to the British Museum, and that was it!

verity 1- I will pm you, thanks

brigitte42 - merci pour vos suggestions et je suis heureux que vous passé de bonnes vacances. (my french is not so good, this is via google translate!)

Any suggestions for a good hotel in Cairo for an overnight stay?

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Dcems, My sisters and I first went to Egypt with our mother and the memory of it stays with us all still. It is a special treat for children interested in Egypt. BBecket's advice of staying a few days in Cairo sounds good as it would allow a broader experience.

As highlighted, it is very easy to book flights from Luxor to Cairo yourself. You may find it cheaper to bundle Cairo and Luxor together when booking the holiday. Local trips are very easy to book yourself. Taxi prices per car are displayed in most good hotels. A taxi will take you to the ticket offices then to your sites. The car waits for you as long as you need at each site. This option is vastly cheaper than using local tour operators.

If you do use tour companies, be careful to compare options. In Luxor, several companies are within easy reach of each other and it is easy to pop in and compare. You can also email in advance. Ask on the forum if you are given recommendations, as you can then get information on price and quality.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
680 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor with a very keen 10 year old.

Pre your trip I recommend these books Awesome Egyptians from the Horrible Histories series and Egyptian Echo.

If you can get to a local museum they often have Egyptian collections, a trip to the British Museum is not too far from Bexley. Also try their website.

The BBC has some great Egyptian stuff for children on their website

I find kids enjoy nobles tombs best, the workman's village and the more deserted temples like the Ramasseum. The tomb of Ay is also good with its links to Tutankamun. The Donkey Ride over the Ridge is hugely popular with kids. I did that with my 8 year old. Luxor Museum is good but don't bother with the Mummification Museum.