We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are these prices reasonable?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are these prices reasonable?

Hi - we have been quoted 450LE per person for the following day trip with a guide. We are two families of 8, including 4 kids 12 and under.

- Valley of the Kings

- Temple of Karnak

- Avenue if Sphynx

- Temple of Hapshetsuf

- Collossi of Memnon

I would like to know please if this is reasonable?

Thanks!

31. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 21:05
32. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

33. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

34. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 21:06
35. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 01:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

The OP will of course find much better deals if she chooses to shop locally but at the risk of provoking more internet indignity and Shakespearean misquotes, the prices she lists are not as outrageous as some suggest.

Tour prices currently posted in Luxor show a basic asking cost of between LE 200 and LE 300 for a tour of the VoK, Hatshepsut’s Temple with a (free) stop at the Colossi of Memnon. A tour of Karnak and Luxor temples lists between LE 190 and LE 250. Add a tour of Karnak to the first package and the cost of LE 450 pp quoted is not grotesquely out of line. What turns a high-end quote into highway robbery is the company’s failure to offer any sort of child and/or group discount.

The tour company probably just tried its online luck and, as just said, the OP would probably get a much better price by simply walking into the Luxor office where the management would be forced to bargain. None of this, however, means that the OP has to bow to a wider internet curiosity by naming and shaming the company if she doesn't want to.

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

In this situation, I would contact the company again, saying I had chosen them because of their reputation, but was very concerned at their high prices. I would point out that some of the group are children and maybe ask for a total price rather than a pp price. I would also be specific (ish) about times - you don't want to be rushed with children in the party, they will need some refreshments. Good Luck

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

Andrewsisters - Exactly what I was going to suggest, after overnight consideration! It indicates that the OP has done a bit of investigation and gives the company an opportunity to back down from the original price without losing face.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

Just for interest and perhaps comparison by the OP, I have very recently been given these prices - most are quoted in GB Pounds but it's easy enough to do the maths. And, I will not be naming the company as I'll only be accused of advertising or having affiliation to it, so please don't ask either on this thread or by PM.

West Bank 1 visit ( Valley of Kings, Hatshepsut Temple and Collossi of Memnon) 25 GBP per person.

West Bank 2 visit ( Habu, Rammasseum, Valley of Nobles and Valley of

Workers) 20 GBP per person.

East Bank visit ( Karnak and Luxor Temples) 20 GBP per person.

Sound and light show 150 EGP per person.

Egyptian night 27 GBP per person.

sun set fellucca 5 GBP per person.

camel and horse ride 5 GBP per person.

Cairo by air 140 GBP per person

These prices would also appear to include a guide , transportation, entrance fees and pick up from your hotel and drop off back at your hotel.

As already stated by others, I would imagine that these prices could be reduced upon haggling when arriving in Luxor, so should just be used as a guide as to what is on offer.

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Are these prices reasonable?

Goodness - I really have opened a can of worms!

I have had a revised quote from the company, but also had other quotes too, which I am sitting down to sift through. I was wary of naming the company as I did not feel it was my position to trash them before offering them the opportunity to re-quote. I believe it is up to travellers to do thorough research in order to ensure they are getting a good price, and anyone who accepts the first quote without question is foolish. However, I am sure it happens, and that is why tour operators initially quote high - it's clearly their opening gambit rather than a serious proposition but which sometimes is clearly accepted! If haggling is ok in Luxor, why not by email?

It was my mistake I think to name some of the upmarket hotels we are staying in. This may have also encouraged the operator to try his luck. We are not wealthy, but do save almost all our surplus cash to splurge on well-earned holidays which we book ahead of time to take advantage of deals. I would definitely bargain in Luxor if we had more time and no kids in tow.

I will report back when I have made a decision!

Thanks for all your help!