We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptair Flight Changes

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptair Flight Changes

Ras2 has a topic on the Cairo forum about BA using narrow-body jets to Cairo.

Egyptair are doing the same with at least some of their flights from Heathrow (LHR) to Luxor (LXR)

The Flight MS762 (and MS761 back to the UK) has been, for the last few years an A-330 or B-777.

In June this year, at least, it will be changed to a B737-800. Admittedly it's one of the bigger Piggy's (same size as RyanAirs), but it's still just a single aisle Piggy

And the times have changed - Leaves LHR @ 17:00

Edited: 04 March 2013, 11:43
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

Egyptair have 2 flights to Cairo from LHR the 15.00 MS 778 is the Airbus a330-300 wide-body and the 22.30 MS 780 is a Boeing 737 800.

Does anyone remember BA flights to Luxor and when? I remember a BA (GB Airways) franchise flight on a Sunday which lasted for one season anyone remember the year?

R

Edited: 04 March 2013, 11:48
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

I don't remember any, but.....

It would be a L-O-T of digging, but ALL Heathrow movements are kept at lhr-lgw.co.uk/archives%20main%20index.html

I'll let you do the digging - Whilst I may be a planespotter - Airliners are not my 'thing'

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

I remember using British Airways to Luxor. I also remember the code-sharing route with BA/BM. This routed via Alexandria and possibly Cairo for the season Ras2 highlighted. I remember landing in Alexandria clearly and that it was January 1st but I can't remember the year. The plane had BA on the side and staff wore the unifirms but it was 'franchised'. I shall look at photographs to try to jog my memory. BA stopped direct flights to Luxor after 1997 (Hatshepsut massacre) but I can't remember if the code sharing was after or before that.

We are now plane spotters :)

Edited: 04 March 2013, 18:09
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

AswanFans - are you sure you used to fly British Airways directly to Luxor ? I can't recall them ever doing this. The only exception is the GB Airways flight Ras2 mentions above, which flew in BA livery.

As far as I'm aware, BA only ever operated Luxor via Cairo and this finished in the nineties. It may have lasted until 1997 but I thought it ended earlier than this.

The flight via Alexandria to Luxor you mention was operated by British Mediterranean Airways and only lasted one season (around 2000 I think). Again, this flew in BA livery.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

FF, yes, I am pretty sure that British Airways flew into Luxor... but over the years, I have taken so many flights to Egypt that they are pretty much a blur. The code share with BM... that was short-lived. I definitely flew into Luxor last with British Airways under the BM code share before they stopped that route. As mentioned before, Alexandria was a stop off point before continuing to Luxor on the code share route. The flights I was referencing on the original thread were different to the code share with BA/BM - and earlier.

Over the years, I have flown British Airways and EgyptAir into Luxor (scheduled airlines) and chartered flights too. I remember being very disappointed when British Airways first withdrew the Luxor flights. Something tells me this may have been in the late 1980s. Maybe it was earlier than that. When did you first start going to Luxor, FF? Maybe others will remember British Airways flying into Luxor as early as the eighties. I can't be the oldest one on this forum.... I hope!

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

AswanFans - I think we're on the same page here except that I don't remember *direct* flights to Luxor on BA in the late 1980s/early 1990s. I think they all landed in Cairo en route.

By BM I presume you mean British Mediterranean Airways, which was the service via Alexandria I mentioned.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

FF, this is now complicated as it is over two threads. My initial point was simply that BA flew into Luxor prior to the code sharing BA/BM flights mentioned by RAS2. On that, it seems we agree.

I mentioned Alexandria as I remember landing there under code sharing the last time we took a British Airways branded flight to Luxor. British Mediterranean rings a bell - that was then bought by BMI, I think. Regardless, the code share flight was operated by British Airways, staff wore British Airways uniforms and it said British Airways on the plane. I remember the flight clearly as the staff were absolutely lovely.

Some time before then, British Airways flew into Luxor. I miss that still. As I said in the other thread -

" I seem to remember British Airways offering a weekly Luxor flight from London to Luxor. There may have been a Cairo stop but nonetheless, BA flew into Luxor unless my memory is wrong"

Usually, I can't remember what I did yesterday. Remembering any of this is pretty good :)

Edited: 05 March 2013, 11:26
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

"My initial point was simply that BA flew into Luxor prior to the code sharing BA/BM flights mentioned by RAS2. On that, it seems we agree."

Yes I think we agree, although it's not the "BA/BM" flights Ras2 referred to, it's "BA/GB".

There's a minor difference between "codesharing" and "franchising" which adds to the confusion.

With codesharing, Airline A operates a route using its own planes painted in its own livery, using its own staff outfits etc. Airline A has its own flight number for the flight. Airline B has an agreement with Airline A to issue a different flight number for the same flight, using Airline B's code.

To my knowledge, BA has never codeshared on any routes to Egypt.

With franchising, Airline A still uses its own planes and staff. However, they are painted in Airline B's colours and their staff wear Airline B's uniforms. Airline A doesn't have its own flight numbers; they issue flight numbers with Airline B's code instead.

Two British Airways franchisees have operated to Luxor - GB Airways direct and British Mediterranean via Alexandria.

Before either of these short-lived routings, British Airways operated a regular Luxor service via Cairo.

Does that sound about right ?

Edited: 05 March 2013, 11:59
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

From 1997 I only recall one season of BA Sunday flights but I thought it was the GB Airways franchise. I do not recall any British Med flights to Luxor but British Med flew into Alex so they may have been the franchie that season not GB and when British Med were taken over by British Midland this flight was moved to Cairo as a member of the Star Alliance with Egyptair and Alex was dropped.

GB Airways who flew into Sharm and Hurghada were taken over by easyJet in 2008 and started Luxor a year or 2 later.

Any franchise operated in BA full livery, cabins, staff uniforms in flight service and BA flight numbers operated with BMed or GB aircraft and crews.

R

Edited: 05 March 2013, 13:21
10. Re: Egyptair Flight Changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 14:39
Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations