We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

I know it is very difficult to predict the political situation in Egypt right now, but would appreciate any help you guys can offer. We have booked 7 day Nile cruise luxor_aswann_luxor plus 7 day hotel in luxor 10th April 2013. Obviously with the present political situation as it is, we are concerned as to whether it really is safe to go.we regularly check foreign office website and news on line, but very hard to find specifics for the areas in question. Can anyone help us please?

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

The foreign office is your best source of information. They are charged with the safety of their citizens. Unless they say its unsafe to travel then i would proceed.

No one can reasonably gurantee your safety or that nothing will happen to you.

All i will add is that most repeat visitors have not altered their plans out of any safety concerns that i am aware of. Certainly, i shall be going just as soon as the Egyptian summer kicks in!

Edited: 13 March 2013, 19:02
Northants UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

We did exactly the same as you are 2 weeks ago, and never once were we concerned about

safety. The Egyption people are lovely people, who genuinely welcome you to their country.

You get hastle at the airport when you arrive with people trying to carry your case or stowing it, but just

let them for EP10 or carry your own. and of course the bazzar traders at every place of interest, who are just an annoyance.

We were not allowed off the boat at Edfu for Health and Safety reasons, and we had an armed guard at the

gangplank, which was the only time.

There were only 18 people on our cruise and 18 rooms occupied out of 246 at the Hotel, so its like a private charter. Go, enjoy, and feel sorry for the people of Egypt, who life has been changed since the revolution

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

Thanks for that, have registered with fco, for email alerts, and also with locate.

Will keep my eye on luxor forum as well as news.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

I'm not long back from Luxor and found things to be just fine. The worst threat to life and limb appear to be the young lads who drive like crazy idiots on motor bikes - you need your wits about you when walking in the streets. You also need to be aware that there are many power cuts - it could be a bit disconcerting walking around some of the local back streets in darkness, so take a torch with you. We did hear of a bag snatch while we were there, but also heard that the culprit had been caught. We were also warned by local people to 'watch our handbags' but we luckily encountered no problems.

That's not to say that there are no problems however, so just be aware of your surroundings as you would when travelling anywhere in the word, and use loads of common sense when out and about and, most importantly, go and enjoy your holiday.

hove
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

We have just returned from the most wonderful trip to Luxor to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Like you, prior to going, we were apprehensive (even cancelled our trip last year) and tried to find out as much information as possible about the situation but the whole holiday was beyond our expectations. We stayed in a family run hotel on the West Bank which is very peaceful with views over Luxor temple and the Nile. The hotel owner arranged our trips for us a a good rate and we did not feel any concern for our safety whilst in Luxor.

The downside to the state of the economy is that you will be hassled constantly, more so on the East Bank than the West Bank but as long as you are firm but polite you are soon left alone. When visiting the various monuments you will also find you are constantly approached but again, a firm but polite reply sometimes repeated several times is sufficient.

The sights were overwhelming - enjoy your visit.

hove
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

We have just returned from the most wonderful trip to Luxor to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Like you, prior to going, we were apprehensive (even cancelled our trip last year) and tried to find out as much information as possible about the situation but the whole holiday was beyond our expectations. We stayed in a family run hotel on the West Bank which is very peaceful with views over Luxor temple and the Nile. The hotel owner arranged our trips for us a a good rate and we did not feel any concern for our safety whilst in Luxor.

The downside to the state of the economy is that you will be hassled constantly, more so on the East Bank than the West Bank but as long as you are firm but polite you are soon left alone. When visiting the various monuments you will also find you are constantly approached but again, a firm but polite reply sometimes repeated several times is sufficient.

The sights were overwhelming - enjoy your visit.

Derby
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

Hi, I have been travelling for holidays to Luxor for the past 8 years and have also done the Nile cruise. At no time have I felt in any danger. In fact there has been very little (or none at all) unrest in Luxor, they rely too much on tourists for their livelihood. I am sure you will be fine. Enjoy!!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

Thanks for your reply, fully understand that nothing in this life is guaranteed lol! we have registered for updates with the FO and also with their Locate service.so got that covered as much as we can i think. We can't wait to go, as we are fascinated with the amazing archeology and culture, and decided Egypt would be the ideal destination for our honeymoon. all our friends think we are crazy to go ahead with our planned visit! But everyone here had been very positive,so we are going ahead with our plans. We are reasonably well seasoned travellers so always pack torches and Multitools for lifes little surprises! But thanks for the heads up.just like to be prepared.thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

< 'all our friends think we are crazy to go ahead with our planned visit! ' >

Don't worry, if it is any reassurance you are certainly not alone there !

All of my friends and family think I am crazy too and have done for the last 20 years that I have been visiting Egypt, so your friends are not unique in their opinions.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety up date needed for Nile cruise april 2013 please

Ha ha agree with KV Explorer, since my first visit many years ago, I have had many good natured concerns for my safety from friends,family and colleagues. I can honestly say I have never worried for my safety on any trip, I have been accompanied, I have been alone, I have wandered around the magnificent temples and sites, cruise boats are great for sightseeing, if you feel concerned as you are with others. I would say, in my opinion that not disembarking at Edfu will not be a loss to your itinery or experience. Unless things change and the Foreign Office advises against all travel to Egypt. Go, enjoy, be overwhelmed and moved, the egyptian people will treat you like royalty, politely and firmly say'no' when needed. I'm very envious ! x