We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cotton sheets

england
Level Contributor
72 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
cotton sheets

Any good recommendations of where to get some good sheets from ?!

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cotton sheets

Cotton House on St Joesph Street is good.

R

england
Level Contributor
72 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cotton sheets

What sort of price r they ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cotton sheets

In my experience the very 'best' quality Egyptian cotton sheets are reserved for export, but there is certainly no shortage of places selling them and it is your decision then as to whether the quality you find suits your requirements.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cotton sheets

Believe it or not, you will find that Egyptian cotton sheets are cheaper in the UK than in Egypt and there's no worry about the extra weight!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cotton sheets

Agree with Rowz - buy them in the UK!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cotton sheets

I agree with Rowz and Marlscat - all my Egyptian cotton sheets were purchased in the U.K., they are freely available here at a range of prices depending on the thread count. Look, for instance, in M & S, Dunelm Mill, TKMaxx or any chain (other than Pound shops, that is).

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cotton sheets

I agree too, have not seen good quality cotton in Egypt.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cotton sheets

Verity's reply reminds me of a problem with quality - not with sheets, but with buying a tablecloth a few years ago. My friends bought a large tablecloth which was covered in polythene and looked fine on inspection, but the item was never taken from the polythene bag until they got home. It was then that they discovered that the cotton wasn't good quality, there were dirty marks on it that didn't come out even when sent to a professional laundry, and there were some small 'pulls' in the material.

However, lesson learned. If buying anything at all like this, make sure the whole item is well inspected before you purchase it. And never inspect one item then buy what looks to be the exact same thing but which is nicely presented in a polythene cover, because once you get it home you may well find that it's NOT the same thing at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cotton sheets

I would echo Marlscats advice in her reply no.8, as this is a very common ploy used by Egyptian vendors.

Just as there is no such thing as 'Health & Safety' regulations in Egypt, there is also no such thing as an 'office of fair trading' or any department of 'Consumer Rights' to come to your aid and it is very much a case of 'buyer beware' !

As Marlscat explains, it is usual to think that after viewing an item on 'display' then the 'same' item in the wrapping will be identical, but in Egypt this is rarely the case, with, as previously explained, the item you walk away with, although looking the same in its wrapping, will be vastly inferior to the sample you were shown and once you hand over your money it is a 'done deal', regardless of what you find when you remove that wrapping.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cotton sheets

Yes its so long since this question has been ask I forgot I normally answer Tesco's etc. My quilt covers here are Egyptian cotton from Tesco's.

In this day and age of weight and excess baggage charges I would not buy anything here to take home to the UK I can get there, sheets etc are quite heavy and not cheap. I did buy some good sheets recently from Cotton House but I only needed to take them upstairs.

R

Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations