We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

I've been to them, but it was a while ago.

Can anyone give me Google Earth co-ords or directions to them?

Yes - I know - Embarassing!!! - I should know, but it was a long day when we did them and it's probably an age thing!

(Just getting in the comments before anyone else!)

I do know vaguely but looking for more precise locations

Germany
Level Contributor
157 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

Hello eLaReF

A map on the French Wiki-site may help

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vall%C3%A9e_des_nobles

Or perhaps these coordiantes:

25° 44′ 00″ Nord

32° 36′ 00″ Est

(Also from French Wiki)

Hope to visit in October !

Indi

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

Thanks

The map shows the village of Dra Abu el-Naga just where I expected, although the Co-ords are a bit out.

GE letting me down - nothing identified - although some photographer has the Colossii Of Memnon there!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

I have found a lot of Google maps and places marked on Google Earth to be wildly inaccurate and way 'off the mark' (especially with GE) with the positions of monuments, hotels, etc being marked in totally the wrong places (especially with places in Egypt).

For that reason I would only use it to get a 'rough' idea of where things are, as 100% accuracy cannot be depended upon with it, unless you can recognise geographical features in the photographed landscape yourself.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

I do usually ignore people's added bits for that reason, but since I could find nothing about Roy/Shuroy, I foolishly thought I'd have a look!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

The Roy and Shuroy tombs (TT255 and TT13) are in an area called Dra Abu El Naga and are basically situated to the left of the main road that goes to the Kings Valley, from the westbank ticket office and past Hatshepsuts temple area, etc.

Coming from the Deir el Bahari left fork (if you find that on GE) then continue along the road in the direction of VoK and after approx. 1 km the road sharply bends to the left and just as you round this 90 degree bend in the road, Roy and Shuroy's tombs are in the hillside to the left hand side.

But I thought you would have known that eLaReF, LoL !

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
659 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

25°44'10.99" N 32°37'29.94" E

You can see the little dirt road quite clearly and it branchs south Shu Roy and north Roy

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

Thank you eLaReF

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

Just in case you don't feel like a mountain goat when you visit .... our taxi driver stopped in the car park . The track is very steep and I found it hard going even with my stick - the tomb guard said (when we finally got there) that the driver could have come at least half way up the track. He did give me a round of applause though. And the tombs are worth it.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

There is a sign marking their location at road level too. About 100 yards or so past the junction for Hatshepsut's Temple when headed north on the road. I think the ticket price is still 15LE. Worth a visit IMO. I went two years ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tombs of Roy & Shuroy

eLaReF was asking how to find the tombs on Google Earth Alistair, so road signs aren't really gonna help him that much with that, LoL !